General Performance & Hyundai Chat If you can't figure out which performance/modifications catagory to put your post in, then put it here. Also use this are to discuss general things about your Hyundai.

The Import Scene

Old 09-29-2013, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2007 Tiburon
Default The Import Scene

We all know that the import scene blew up when the first Fast & Furious came out. Over the years, the scene has changed a lot but it also has diminished a lot too. If another movie like the first Fast & Furious came out where it focused on street racing, cars with ricey body kits, stickers, and NAAAWWWSSSSSS....do you guys think the scene would explode again like it did way back when the first movie came out?
Old 09-30-2013, 12:01 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

People in the 40's, like myself have a totally different view than you do. The import scene started dying when F&F came out. That movie killed it. Before F&F, imports were about engineering, speed, handling and being different. After that movie, it became about a "lifestyle". Nobody in my age group would EVER put neon on a car, stretched tires or big fiberglass body kits. Video games and clothes became as important to the scene as the cars. Pick up a copy of Sport Compact Car from 1998 and compare it to one from 2008. I'm the 1998 issue. The F&F kids are the 2008 issue. Imports are starting to come back, but it's being brought back by people in my age group who now drive GTR's, EVO's STI's, M3's and 911's.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:58 AM

Vehicle: 2005 Hyundai Tiburon GT

The scene here is decent. People try to stay away from the F&F look and not much people into the trends going now. This is a army town so you have plenty of guys that buy factory turbo cars or have projects that they put good money into. The couple problems here is JDM everybody swear their cars are and nobody works on their own car they pay shops to do it. So basically: ask them something specific about there setup and you Idk Or its jdm.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:04 AM

Vehicle: 2015 Subaru WRX

Originally Posted by i8acobra
People in the 40's, like myself have a totally different view than you do. The import scene started dying when F&F came out. That movie killed it. Before F&F, imports were about engineering, speed, handling and being different. After that movie, it became about a "lifestyle". Nobody in my age group would EVER put neon on a car, stretched tires or big fiberglass body kits. Video games and clothes became as important to the scene as the cars. Pick up a copy of Sport Compact Car from 1998 and compare it to one from 2008. I'm the 1998 issue. The F&F kids are the 2008 issue. Imports are starting to come back, but it's being brought back by people in my age group who now drive GTR's, EVO's STI's, M3's and 911's.

This could not have been said better. I still have a few SCC's from the 90's if anyone wants to read one or two to SEE the difference, I had to break one out after reading your comment cobra.... ahh good times...

/case rested
Old 09-30-2013, 05:29 PM

Vehicle: 1997/Hyundai/Tiburon

I will just leave this here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGVCdQ2ycmQ
Old 09-30-2013, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Originally Posted by Hobgoblin
This could not have been said better. I still have a few SCC's from the 90's if anyone wants to read one or two to SEE the difference, I had to break one out after reading your comment cobra.... ahh good times...

/case rested

I have every issue from '97 until the last one.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:56 AM

Vehicle: 2015 Subaru WRX

I don't have from '04 on.... I went to the UK and didn't feel like buying them there for double the price (Pound to Dollar was 2 to 1 then) and they didn't want to ship to the UK either...
Old 10-01-2013, 07:27 PM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

17 year olds are still fawning over whatever lifestyle is fashionable here. F&F has died off, hellaflush is thankfully in its sunset years, I guess there's some money to be made from the next phase.