General Performance & Hyundai Chat If you can't figure out which performance/modifications catagory to put your post in, then put it here. Also use this are to discuss general things about your Hyundai.

I'm calling the BS flag

Old 02-28-2013, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Elantra
Default I'm calling the BS flag

Research: Brain can't cope with making a left-hand turn and talking on hands-free cell phone

TORONTO, Feb. 28, 2013— Most serious traffic accidents occur when drivers are making a left-hand turn at a busy intersection.

When those drivers are also talking on a hands-free cell phone, "that could be the most dangerous thing they ever do on the road," said Dr. Tom Schweizer, a researcher at St. Michael's Hospital.

Researchers led by Dr. Schweizer tested healthy young drivers operating a novel driving simulator equipped with a steering wheel, brake pedal and accelerator inside a high-powered functional MRI. All previous studies on distracted driving have used just a joy-stick or trackball or else patients passively watching scenarios on a screen.

Immersing a driving simulator with a fully functional steering wheel and pedals in an MRI at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre allowed researchers to map in real time which parts of the brain were activated or deactivated as the simulator took them through increasingly difficult driving maneuvers.

The researchers were able to show for the first time that making a left-hand turn requires a huge amount of brain activation and involves far more areas of the brain than driving on a straight road or other maneuvers.

When the drivers were also involved in a conversation, the part of the brain that controls vision significantly reduced its activity as the part that controls monitoring a conversation and attention was activated.

The research was published today online in the open access journal Frontiers in Human Neuroscience.

"Visually, a left-hand turn is quite demanding," Dr. Schweizer said. "You have to look at oncoming traffic, pedestrians and lights, and coordinate all that. Add talking on a cell phone, and your visual area shuts down significantly, which obviously is key to performing the maneuver."

The simulation had the drivers making six left turns with oncoming traffic, which required them to decide when to turn safely. It then distracted them, by making them answer a series of true-false audio questions, such as "Does a triangle have four sides?" The MRIs showed that blood moved from the visual cortex, which controls sight, to the prefrontal cortex, which controls decision-making.

"Brain activity shifted dramatically from the posterior, visual and spatial areas [of the brain] to the prefrontal cortex," said Dr. Schweizer, a neuroscientist and director of the Neuroscience Research Program at the hospital's Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute.

"This study provides real-time neuroimaging evidence supporting previous behavioural observations suggesting that multitasking while driving may compromise vision and alertness. 'Hands free' not does mean 'brains free.'"

Dr. Schweizer said his study needed to be replicated in larger groups and with various age groups and with people with known brain impairments such as Alzheimer's disease.

###

This study was funded by the Natural Sciences and Engineering

http://www.sciencecodex.com/research...l_phone-107704

I do it all the time
Old 02-28-2013, 05:17 PM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

My area of interest is in Cognitive Neuroscience and Behavioural and Cognitive Neurology/Neurosurgery. My program of research is focused on understanding the neural bases for human cognitive and real-world functioning using experimental cognitive paradigms, neuroimaging and neuropsychology. A better understanding of the complex neural systems supporting various cognitive and real-world functions and their breakdown after brain damage is essential in educating physicians, patients and families and critical in designing effective treatment strategies. We are currently working on 1) identifying the neurocognitive and functional consequences of brain aneurysms; 2) developing imaging based surrogate markers of outcome in stroke, dementia and TBI.

I'm inclined to listen to this guy's opinion on brain function.

There's almost nothing in life that can't wait ~1 minute while you pull over to return a call or send a text message. Hands-free or not, talking on the cell is almost as bad as drunk driving. It's just a needless impairment.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:49 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

Too Long. Didn't Read.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:19 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

majik post tl;dr
Old 03-01-2013, 07:22 AM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

I just don't anything that distracts me from driving. I'll use BT in a parking lot or on a side street, but for the most part I hate to talk while driving because it is (though mildly) distracting. The only exception I make is if I'm talking to someone at work about a project. If it screws with my paycheck, it's important enough to take. Other than that STFU and DRIVE.

As a side note, I would totally get behind a local law preventing people from doing makeup behind the wheel, AND ENFORCE IT!!! We have a few counties with hands-free only laws and a state-wide no texting behind the wheel, but its never enforced. And I do not believe this need to be handed by DC, this need to be local or state.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:59 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

If I can operate a motor vehicle while getting a BJ, anything going on to do with a phone or texting is child's play. Maybe not for everyone, but for me personally anyways.

Driving just isn't that difficult. In this case if I'm distracted I just pass over the gaps that are possibly big enough and wait for a giant gap because I'm not a dumbass with a death wish. Notice that the article didn't say these people were unable to make the turn safely, it implies that their ability to process the information is impaired. If you're a total idiot you might decide just to go anyways, but assuming that you're bright enough to operate a vehicle safely anyways under normal conditions you will wait until your brain is able to process enough information to ensure that you can execute the turn safely, even if that means you will have missed a few gaps where you would have normally turned if you were not distracted.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:23 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

Saying

Driving just isn't that difficult. In this case if I'm distracted I just pass over the gaps that are possibly big enough and wait for a giant gap

Is akin to saying that drunk driving is okay as long as you do 10 under.

It's not actually possible to look at a text message, and the road, at the same time. Texting especially makes me mad because text messages are never urgent or else it'd be a phone call.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:31 AM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

I don't know if there has been an actual study on this, but I'm fairly certain that getting a bj, and especially climax, have similar neurological effects to having a few shots from the make-shift bar you've constructed from your Wheelmate Laptop Steering Wheel Desk. I know both alcohol and sex release endorphins and a number of other signals within the brain, but I'm hardly a professional in said practice.

Sounds like we need need to conduct a study. I'll volunteer my time to be part of the afflicted party.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:11 AM

Vehicle: 1991 Impulse RS

Doing anything behind the wheel other than paying 100% attention to your driving is dangerous. I know some people can talk/text and drive at the same time with no problem (I do it once in a while), but you're still distracted. Then there are those people who can't chew gum and drive! An accident/crash can happen in a tenth of a second, if you're even slightly distracted it could cost you your life. Is that phone call or text really worth your life?

On a side note, have you ever honked your horn at someone texting at a red light? A few times I've had the driver go through the red because they are not paying attention and fail to even look up to check the light before gassing it! LOL! (** I do not recommend doing this during rush hour or any other times traffic is heavy, but it's funny as hell when there is little to no traffic around!)
Old 03-03-2013, 01:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis Coupe 2L track

Illinois is getting ready to pass a hands free only cell law.