General Performance & Hyundai Chat If you can't figure out which performance/modifications catagory to put your post in, then put it here. Also use this are to discuss general things about your Hyundai.

How good are you at parallel parking

Old 04-06-2012, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 tiburon fx
Default How good are you at parallel parking

At my age, I still suck at it. I try to avoid it every possible way. I always end up hitting the curb, or if I do attempt it, it takes me like 10 tries before Im satisfied with it.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:48 PM

Vehicle: 2010/Hyundia/Genesis Coupe 2.0T Track

I'm sure you have heard the saying practice makes perfect.... well that is untrue and probably why you still suck despite your age and 'expereince'(no offense).

Perfect practice makes perfect.

If you want to get better set up some cones and take your time, break it into sectinos like the Ford park assist does. All the camera does is look for certain demensions and distances which you can learn your self. Then you turn your wheel and backup to a certain point and then forward it into place. First you have to find out where that optimal distance is which might take a while, but once you get it THEN practice off of that. Doon't just blindly practice trying to get it sometimes and not others that helps nothing. Get used to finding that spot dimensions and where you need to be to set it up, setup is everything. Once you got that down, it is a simpel turn of the wheel. Use cones with stick in them and tie string around them so you have virtual cars and you can learn how close your car can get to those cones before you hit them, learn that sight picture and also prepare to adjust slightly because of bumpers or other potrustions you might not be able to see.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:03 PM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

4.2 turns of manual steering lock, oh yeah baby!
Old 04-06-2012, 04:01 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Sonata Limited 2.0T

Usually I can land it with style. I back in, and turn off the car. I level out in reverse so no pulling forward.. now if I'm downtown.. I have to make sure I'm in those damn lines so a little wiggle might be necessary. Hizzah for small ass cars!
Old 04-08-2012, 08:43 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Hyundai Accent

when i practiced for my driving test, i was awesome at it. i was 1" away from the curb, the evaluator said i didn't need to worry about getting that close...no that was intentional. i knew i was 1" away

not as good now, but i do well. strangely, i can't back into a spot for the life of me!!
Old 04-08-2012, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

The biggest problem I see most people causing for themselves is not going to lock with the wheel. I am at about 98% first time success.. can't claim 100 because sometimes you just misjudge something and I dont have to do it that often. Lock the wheel going in and go to lock QUICK when you swing the nose in. If you are scared of swinging the car around you will do the 14014 point parallel park thing I see most people doing.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:12 AM

Vehicle: 2010/Hyundia/Genesis Coupe 2.0T Track

Originally Posted by WytchDctr
The biggest problem I see most people causing for themselves is not going to lock with the wheel.

My only note to this is once you hit lock, back it off the ever slightest bit. Holding at the lock or attempting to pull past it can be horrible for your steering pump, you can hear it when people do it and it makes me cringe. And backing off the lock a tad won't change your radius at all really.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

^this

Use all of your steering range, yes. Also know how long your car is and don't stop 2 meters away from other cars before changing directions, and turn the wheel BEFORE moving forward/back.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:54 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

Saw this chick do this tonight in DC. I wanted to congratulate her for the fastest cleanest parallel park I've ever seen a girl make.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I'm pretty good at it. I almost always get it right on the first try regardless of vehicle.