General Performance & Hyundai Chat If you can't figure out which performance/modifications catagory to put your post in, then put it here. Also use this are to discuss general things about your Hyundai.

How do you train yourself not to speed?

Old 05-24-2011, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon
Default How do you train yourself not to speed?

Ive noticed that my foot has been getting heavier and heavier. I dont mean to do it, but I speed ALL the time. Surprisingly though I have yet to get any kind of bad speeding ticket. Ive only gotten one in my life and that was for doing 11 over the limit. Not bad, considering it was a 35 zone and I was busted doing 46 (thought the limit was 40 at the time).

So is there a way to train yourself to not speed all the time? Im afraid that one of these days my luck is going to run out and Im gotta get busted for going way too fast.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

pay attention to the speed limit o.O...

i don't know.. i can usually 'feel' roughly the speed I am going and am used to what types of areas have certain limits...

residential = 25mph

arterial roads with homes off them = usually 35mph

commercial arterial = usually 45mph

split lane highways = usually 50-55mph

expressways = 65-70mph.

i can usually feel the speed within 5-7mph of what im going without looking at the speedometer.. of course i usually always drive about 5-7 mph over the limit..
Old 05-24-2011, 02:53 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I got a lot of speeding tickets. That trained me more than anything lol.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

^ some places if you get out the door without paying a couple hundred ducks, you did good.

If you want to change your behaviour, you have to (duh? ) really want to change. It must come from within or you will never change. Pay attention to your speedometer and pay attention to the speed limit.

See if you can make an effort to actually go 2 UNDER the speed limit. That will make you do both at the same time

Turn down the radio and listen to the engine's exhaust note. Higher pitch means higher speed

Put on some classical instead of speed metal

Roll down the passenger window a little and see if the louder wind noise keeps your speed down

Whatever you do, the more you do it, the more it will become a part of you. The more you speed, the more you speed. The more you mind your speed, the less often you'll speed
Old 05-24-2011, 07:56 PM

Vehicle: 1991 Impulse RS

Where I live they have a law stating that if your caught going 40 or 50 km/h over the speed limit it's considered street racing (even if your on the road by yourself). The will impound your car and suspend your license, not to mention the massive fine you will receive and the demerit points you will lose! It's not worth it!

I fine the best way to stop speeding is to get older! LOL! Once I reached the age of 30 I stopped speeding. Not sure if I matured or if the law I talked about ^^^^^ scared me straight!
Old 05-24-2011, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Your testosterone level went down.

The world is my race track . . . it has a speed limit.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:00 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

might sound strange but both of our cars are dropped, it slows me down on the bumps and potholes. furthermore, potential squirrels/animals, humans (kids) are what slow me down. wouldn't want some kid to chase his ball into my path...
Old 05-25-2011, 02:50 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

losing your license for too many speeding tickets (when i was 17) worked for me. LOL.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:30 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Sonata

The MOST EFFECTIVE method of speed mitigation is to have some other sort of illegal activity going on in your car. When you have a trunkload of AK-47s or maybe a few kilos of an illegal substance and/or an underage runaway prostitute, you will definitely not speed. Just kidding!! Seriously man, like the other guys said.. you have to outgrow it. Hopefully you get to that point without consequences.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:10 AM

Vehicle: '01 Tiburon

The only thing that helps me not speed is to turn off the radio. Even getting older i still have a tendency to speed with the radio on. Heck even my father at 50+ still speeds with the radio on.