General Performance & Hyundai Chat If you can't figure out which performance/modifications catagory to put your post in, then put it here. Also use this are to discuss general things about your Hyundai.

How Do You Slow Down?

Old 12-22-2002, 03:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

xxxmonoxidechild:
if u talk to any one who knows alot about cars they will tell u that downshifting to slow down is stupid, why are u going to use your clutch when u have brakes? think of it this way, out of the twp things, what is easier and cheaper to change when they run out? the brakes obviousely. so why not use them. this topic came up in my automotive class in high school and i wish i remember what the teacher said exactly, but i know he said that it was not good to downshift to brake. im not making fun of any one for doing it cause i myself used to do it till i learned that it was not right. plus it just makes sence that u should use ure brake instead of your clutch cause brakes are alot cheaper to replace.
If you do it correctly, you blip the throttle to mactch what the gear you're changing into will be and there's nil clutch slip.

The only real disadvantage I see to slowing the car with the engine is decreased fuel economy and perhaps wear on the transmission. The tranny is wearing a part that's not used in regular driving and cruising though, and will last almost as long as it would normally (well over 100K miles, with care).

[ December 22, 2002, 10:16 AM: Message edited by: Mike Free ]
Old 12-22-2002, 10:49 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

Heel and toeing all the way!! Takes some practice to get the hang of it at first, but once you do, it's fun.
Old 12-23-2002, 01:04 AM

Visionz:
Thee Jester:
What goes in the "other" category?
Fred Flintstone style?

tongue.gif
lmao
i do both..whatever i feel like doing at the moment basically wink tongue.gif
Old 12-23-2002, 04:49 AM

i completely disagree with you, monoxxxide. i'm sure there are different braking techniques used for different kinds of driving and racing. i'm sure wrc drivers use the brakes to help bring the tail around to slide through a corner, and schumacher uses a combo of brakes and engine braking. furthermore, f1 cars have a knob on the steering wheel to adjust the amount/severity of engine braking, so downshifting/engine braking is probably used a lot in formula 1. tell your high school auto teacher he needs to learn a little more before he goes around teaching students "this is the absolute, concrete, right way to do this particular thing." did you ever think that maybe he's teaching highschool for a reason, and not teaching at skip barber or some race school? (i'm aware that he may just enjoy teaching highschool students, so don't use that as your retort)
Old 12-23-2002, 05:15 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

It's absolutely true that downshifting to help slow the car down will wear stuff out quicker.
So what? I'm paying the repair bills, so I'll drive any damn way I feel like it.
I have read many books stating that downshifting promotes more clutch wear, more engine wear, and it's true, but each driver has to determine what's important for them.

And BTW, if you know how to heel-and-toe downshift, then you know that this method does not put any extra strain, nor does it promote quicker wear of the clutch/drivetrain. It will still cause engine wear, but that's one of the things you have to deal with when you choose to drive a car a certain way.

For heel-and-toeing, I basically brake with the left side of my right foot, and "roll" my foot over to blip the throttle. This brings up the revs... then you let out the clutch in the gear you are downshifting to, and becuase you've matched revs, there's no driveline shock or jerk felt in the car. When it's done right (and it's tough.. I can only get it right about 90 per cent of the time) passengers have no clue what's going on. They think everything is normal.
Old 12-25-2002, 10:51 PM

I've always downshifted in every car i've owned and haven't had to get a new clutch or tranny rebuild for the entire time I've owned each vehicle. My last car (93 dodge shadow) got to 120k before I got the tib.
Old 12-26-2002, 08:24 AM

Does anyone besides me just let off the gas.....seems simple enough but i see so many people braking when all they needed to do was stop accelerating (and of course stop tailgating).
just my .02

***p.s.***
Man i need to start running my yap more i've only got 17 posts frown

[ December 26, 2002, 03:26 PM: Message edited by: kieron ]
Old 12-26-2002, 08:21 PM

kieron:
Does anyone besides me just let off the gas.....seems simple enough but i see so many people braking when all they needed to do was stop accelerating (and of course stop tailgating).
just my .02

***p.s.***
Man i need to start running my yap more i've only got 17 posts
DING DING DING! You win the Grand Prize!

Yes. I always sincerely hoep that the people behind me that lay on the brakes when I take my foot off the gas realize some time in their life that they didn't see brake lights because by following at 2 or 3 car lengths *I didn't need to use them*.

As once owner of a vehicle that on a *good* day chewed up a set of $30 carbon metallic pads every 35,000 miles (and $50 semi-mets lasted 20K), I learned how to conserve my brakes...
Old 12-26-2002, 08:53 PM

Well my car has just about 60K on it and until i hit about 45k all i used to slow me down was the brakes. Sometimes I jammed on the brakes and sometimes i slowed down before i needed to but the brakes that come on a four wheel disc tibby have easily lasted me 60k with multiple trips to the track and more street racing than regular driving. Now i have started using the engine to slow me down but honestly i wish i knew how to stop doing it. My roommate got me downshifting to stop instead of just putting it in nuetral and letting the brakes do their job. (Freaking stupid roommate) thanks for the post space
Old 12-28-2002, 02:29 AM

when the occasion calls for it...i will slam on the brakes and come to a hault, however if i'm just slowing down iwill let off the gas and downshift....then usually go around the slow car and stomp on the gas!!! *LOL* my pad have a little more then 25% of the pad left and i have 92000 on my tib!!! my pops still tells me that i dont have to downshift but ....i'm constantly in race mode....just me i guess.