General Performance & Hyundai Chat If you can't figure out which performance/modifications catagory to put your post in, then put it here. Also use this are to discuss general things about your Hyundai.

How do I get my car sponsored?

Old 09-07-2001, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 3.8
Default How do I get my car sponsored?

Hey Random, Spike told me to ask you about sponsers were i could get one and ect...

[ September 07, 2001: Message edited by: Random ]
Old 09-07-2001, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

We'll, To be honest, I have no idea. I can only go by what I have read, and by what other people have told me.

I'm going to make the dangerous assumption that you want to compete in the car show circut rather than the drag circit, so I'm going to tailor my answer towards that.

#1. Car Shows Any manufacturer is going to want their car to be seen by as many people as possilble, in the best way possible. This means car shows. Entrance fees, and lots of car cleaning time. One show a year is not going to get you much is sponsors or sponsorship money/product. Enter as many car shows as you can. Talk to the other entrants who are sponsored. Find out how they got sponsored. Ask to be introduced to the company reps when possible. And of course...winning helps. Every company wants their sponsored car to take "best in show". (use the articles 2000Low&Show posted as to how to win car shows, it was a kick butt series, and a good read).

#2. Network Talk to people. Try to find product representatives/company reps. Keep business cards, and maintain your relationships with them. Try to remember the names/faces of the reps that you see at every show. If they know you, and know your car, your chances of a hook up go up about 1000x over just some schmoe walking up to them and asking for a handout. The old saying of "it's not what you know, but who you know" is true here. Its 1000x times easier to get introduced to the president of say "Meguirs" and be taken seriously, than to just approach him at a car show. I'm not saying you shouldn't try...but an introduction by someone the President knows and trusts, gives you instant credibility/respect.

#3. Be Professional/Polite I'm not talking about going to a car show in a suit and tie. You are asking a company to extend their BUSINESS and REPUTATION to cover you and your car. Are you up to it?
Can you talk with a product rep without MTV "gangstawannabe" arm/hand gestures?
Can you hold a 5 mintue conversation without using the words "dude", "yo", "Phat" and/or profanity?
Can you look the Company Rep in the eye and talk TO him, not the floor? Don't scuff your feet and move forward and back, etc.
I've seen all of these things in "professional" job interviews in a corporate environment, your meetings with product/company reps are basically the same thing.

A company's corporate image my be youthful and "hip", but some of the guys running the companies are not. Simply be respectful, and act like each meeting, however casual, is a potentional job interview. You wouldn't show up to a job interview with a Fortune 500 company in a tank top and baggy shorts...so don't ask for money/sponsorship dressed in rags!

#4 RESEARCH
Know the companies and their product lines. If you know they don't make anything for your car (Tiburon/Elantra/Accent/Rio/Lanos/etc) ask if they have plans to do so in the future. Express interest in helping the company test products and market products for your brand/make. Mention Fxtreme/TeamSR/HyundaiPerformance to back up the fact that Korean car owners are getting into the aftermarket scene. Also...know your car/make/model. Most companies don't know how many components tiburons/elantras share. Do you? Do you know the engine specs on your Lanos? If you can't answer questions on your car, or their product line, don't expect a hand out.

#5 Be comitted to your car This means inven$t your money in your car. It is rare that a person with just a few mods gets a big sponsorship. They usually come to a people who have a fully tricked out car already, and are looking for a "new" project, or to upgrade/change their existing car for the next show to keep it fresh.

So far, everyone I know/have seen who is sponsored falls into 2 catagories.
#1. They are known on the Car Show scene in their area as having a dame fine car. They end up getting sponsored to replace existing components they have, or sponsorship in building up a new car. (see #5 above)
#2. They know someone. (see networking above).

I realise that most of this is generic advice, but when I get sponsored....I'll let you know how I did it!
Old 09-07-2001, 05:28 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Random...VERY well said. Let'ss ee if I can add anything. I've been sponsored by numerous companies when I had my lowriders, and hopefully within time, I'll have a bunch of sponsors for my Tib as well.

Alot of times people think sponsorships are super easy to get. Well, most of the time they're more of a pain in the butt than good thing. All companies are different with the way they sponsor you. Some companies just give you a windshield banner, while others actually give you products or cash. It's highly doubtful that the companies that give you something minor will demand to have you sign a contract...but if it's a large company that is willing to give you alot of stuff...you can dam be sure you'll be signing some kind of contract.

The thing about them is this. There are alot of rules that you have to follow and make sure you understand teh fine print, or else you could either lose your sponsorship, or have to repay everything that was given to you. Like for instances...some contracts say you HAVE to be at certain shows, or photo shoots. If you're not there..guess what happens. Bad stuff. Also...some contracts state that you can not have other manufacturers of aftermarket products on your car. So lets say you just spent $1900 on an Alpine Turbo or SC. You get sponosred, and in the contract it says nothing from Alpine, or no other "boost" products. You just spent alot of money for nothing.

Alot of times people that get into the show scene think about sponsorships often. You get more publicity on your ride, more photo shoots or magazine coverage, possible cool stuff for your car before anyone else can get it, and lets not forget the really big bragging rights you get to have with owning a vehicle that's sponsored by a high profile business. There are definite ups and downs to it. Just make sure that you do alot of research into the subject before making a final descision. One of the things that will get you sponored is the same thing that will make you win car shows. BEING UNIQUE! I'm not talking about just owning a car that not too many other people have..but I'm talking about turning that rare car into an all out insane modded head turning work of art. If the general public and show judges like your car alot..then rest assured the companies will too. Also...it takes time to get noticed and sponsired. Just because you didn't win best of show at an event or just because you were denied sponsorship with one business...don't stop there. Keep going. Enter as many shows as possible, and apply for sponsorship to as many businesses as you can.

Just remember this. A company is basically spending money out of THEIR pocket to advertise with your vehicle. They're only gonna do it if they think they're gonna get something in return by a large amount. So make sure you have a full proposal and game plan set up.

Good luck with everything, and hope all turns out well for you.
Old 09-09-2001, 02:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, you both should've spend hella time writing all that

But nice advices