General Performance & Hyundai Chat If you can't figure out which performance/modifications catagory to put your post in, then put it here. Also use this are to discuss general things about your Hyundai.

Holiday Specials

Old 11-27-2002, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Red:
As I mentioned earlier...

It doesn't matter what the clutch is rated for, it will simply not hold on our transmission. On any BETA transmission that needs to hold more than around 300-350 horsepower must go multi-plate clutch or it will simply slip and burn up. No matter how many pucks, what stage, how much cool stuff it's made of. There is simply not enough clamping force in the design of the stock pressure plate, clutch disc and flywheel total assembly to hold that power.

At least one of our members is experiencing this problem right now. He is opting to not spend the money on the clutch and instead try a totally different method which I'm not sure he's wanting to publicize yet...
Hey red, Just wondered why you say this is this with a "Stock" pressure plate? As our clutches are rated upto 650Lbs tq. on the stage 5. (forgive me I have not alot of knowledge on the hyundai tranny) but I use the same clutch in a chevy and a ford made by the same company with the same specs basiclly and can hold well over 300 lbs tq. Our "clutch kits" should not be slipping. they include new pressure plates not just reman hyundai stuff.

I'm sorry i did not get the specs today I was very busy but I will get them posted friday for sure they are at the shop and I did not get a chance to get by there today.
Old 11-28-2002, 01:15 PM
Red

I tell you what... Show me exactly which Tiburons or Elantras you have tested this clutch on and made it hold that power. Show me a dynochart of a BETA engine that makes 600 horsepower, and then show me that car accelerating full throttle in 4th gear from 30mph to 100mph without the clutch slipping.

I will trust the Korean aftermarket a lot further than the power claims of an untested clutch. You can call it stage 22, it doesn't really matter. The problem is that there is simply not enough surface area on the flywheel and pressure plate facings to hold that power in a single disc clutch setup without the pressure plate clamping at some insane rate.

At some point, you cannot simply make the pressure plate clamp harder, because you still have to be able to disengage the damn thing without breaking your own leg.

The Koreans have never found a single disc clutch ANYWHERE that will hold more than 400 wheel horsepower. The few single disc clutches that do hold up to the 350-400 mark usually come apart in a season or less.

Of all the clutches that have been proven on the track, the only ones holding >400HP are a multi-plate solution of some sort.
Old 11-29-2002, 01:37 AM

Red,

Thats cool I understand I was just asking why you say that. I don't doubt you at all on that. I did contact the Maker of our Clutch Kits and here is the specs he sent me.

Stage 1 : 250 Lbs. Tq.
Stage 2 : 290 Lbs. Tq.
Stage 3 : 350 Lbs. Tq.
Stage 4 : 400 Lbs. Tq.
Stage 5 : 610 Lbs. Tq. Estimated

Our manufacture private labels most of the domestic aftermarket clutch kits for Ford & GM & Steeda. Lingenfelter is one of his customers as well. These guys are not new to game and deal with serious HP.

I will offer this. Anyone that is making over 350 HP to the wheels using the stock tranny contact me @ koreadmin@kore-motorsports.com and I will send you our stage 5 clutch to test. This offer is Limited to one person that can provide a dyno chart showing they are making this kind of power.

I am not disagreeing with you RED on anypoint.

Just asked for more info.
Old 11-29-2002, 06:36 PM

Or would you offer a refund on a stage 4 that slips at 250-300whp?
Old 12-02-2002, 01:44 AM

Vehicle: 2005 tiburon gt

hey snowman,
you have those flywheels in stock? or do i order them and have to wait for you to get them?
Old 12-05-2002, 01:29 AM

Actually we jsut changed the flywheel due to problems with earlyier cars having differnt crank. check the store make sure if has your application year. we just sold the last one will be re ordering more on monday.

Dave

As for a clutch refund JAWS if it slips we can talk about that.

Dave
Old 12-05-2002, 01:44 AM

kool thanx bud...

I got my fingers crossed...
smile.gif
Old 12-05-2002, 05:21 AM

Vehicle: 2005 tiburon gt

well i have a little problem, i have a 98 tib with a 99 motor dont know if pre 6/99 or not
Old 12-05-2002, 08:29 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Veloster

just to let everyone know whats up with Fidanza...they do make two different Flywheels for both engines. I have a Pre 6/99 Tiburon (97 FX) and i put one in on with no problem. The part # is 193241, dont know what the part # is for the Post 6/99 engines. The Flywheel i got was actually about .005 smaller than the stock flywheel crank bore...but if fit OK....just a little snug which is OK. Hope this helps.
Old 12-05-2002, 11:01 AM

Vehicle: 02 Elantra

The flywheel mounting flange (pilot) diameter has been reduced from 41 mm to 35 mm. This statement applies to measurement A.
35mm is post 6/99 and 41mm is pre 6/99.

Measure where A is on your old flywheel to see what design you have. Thanks

[ December 05, 2002, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: Jmontigny ]