General Performance & Hyundai Chat If you can't figure out which performance/modifications catagory to put your post in, then put it here. Also use this are to discuss general things about your Hyundai.

Haggling tips

Old 12-18-2012, 09:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo
Default Haggling tips

What do you do to get the price you want? I'm referring to buying and selling cars, but I guess haggling principles apply to anything.

Me personally, I go for the full disclosure style of bargaining. That applies to buying and selling. Just go over every single fault in the car, realistically price the replacement costs and add/subtract that from the price of the car. It's pretty hard to argue with.

If the person is less reasonable/isn't budging, I also found that just repeating the price you want a few times actually works. They keep on changing, you just keep blurting out your offer.

Also offering to buy the vehicle on the spot/take it off your hands/pay with cash generally helps a little bit.

But cmon, I'm not even good at haggling. I want to hear your techniques. Post em up!
Old 12-18-2012, 09:49 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Hyundai Tiburon GT

Originally Posted by wheel_of_steel
I go for the full disclosure style of bargaining. That applies to buying and selling. Just go over every single fault in the car, realistically price the replacement costs and add/subtract that from the price of the car. It's pretty hard to argue with.
+1

And money talks!

I tell people: I got what I'm willing to pay right now or you can just wait for somebody else to come waist your time...
Old 12-18-2012, 11:20 PM

Vehicle: 1991 Impulse RS

Be firm. Go into the deal knowing what you're willing to pay and don't budge. Be prepared to walk away. About 12 or 13 years back, I offered a used dealership $4500 for a used Grand Am, and not a penny more. The final price worked out to $4501.50, I told the sales guy no thanks.... I was half way out the door when he pulled $1.50 out of his own pocket to make the deal!

Don't be afraid to make a ridiculous offer on a car either, I bought a Ford Tempo once for for a winter car, it was worth at least $2000, I offered the dealer $500 and they accepted the offer The salesman told me they just wanted it off the lot, nobody else had made on offer on it and it would have just gone to the auction as it had been in their back lot for close to a month. He figured they wouldn't get much more than $500 at the auction so that's why he took my offer. It turned out to be one of the most reliable cars I ever owned.

^^this obviously only applies to buying a used car.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

I don't haggle. I make my offer and explain that there will be no negotiating. Take it or leave it.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

"Negotiation is a game of who-cares-least wins"