General Performance & Hyundai Chat If you can't figure out which performance/modifications catagory to put your post in, then put it here. Also use this are to discuss general things about your Hyundai.

Is this a good floor jack from harbor freight?

Old 03-14-2012, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2011 Genesis 3.8
Default Is this a good floor jack from harbor freight?

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton-h...ump-68048.html

Anyone have it? Reviews?
Old 03-14-2012, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I have their 1.5 ton jack. The 3-ton jack weighs twice as much and is horrible for maneuvering around the shop/garage. I wouldn't buy the 3-ton unless you NEED a 3-ton jack. The 1.5 ton that I have works fine for what it is. It's low profile and barely fits under my sideskirts. See my garage for pics of how low I am.

Harbor Freight brand (Pittsburgh) isn't the best, but it's a good price for what it is. Better than paying 3x as much for a higher quality. If it fails or leaks, fix it or go buy another one and you're still ahead of the game. I do know someone who bought one, used it A LOT for a year, and it started leaking hydraulic fluid badly. He pretty much ran a shop out of his home garage, so it did get a lot of use. If you're using it for oil changes and wheel swaps, this is fine. 3 pumps and it's up.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:36 AM

Vehicle: 1991 Impulse RS

I bought a hydraulic jack that came with stands and wheel chocks. Again this is a light duty jack but for the price it does a great job! I use mine to do oil changes, brakes and wheel swaps. I've used it 15+ times for my car and the wife's and I love it.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows...age_reviews_li

I know you don't have Canadian Tire in the US (obviously! lol) but just thought I'd show you what I use. I'm sure kits like that can be found on sale at most auto parts stores.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Is this a good floor jack from harbor freight?
No. Don't need to click on link. No. It's not. It's from HR. Nothing quality/good comes from HF.

DON'T buy ANYTHING from HR that will possibly fail and CRUSH You with your own car (jacks, jack stands) or anything that rotates/grinds or otherwise moves rapidly where the failure of the device may cause great bodily harm.

ONLY Buy HR tools you'll use 10 times or less in your lifetime, and don't want to spend the money for a quality tool. I'd buy a Walmart Jack/Jack Stand before I bought a HF unit.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:18 PM

Vehicle: 2005/hyundia/elantra

i have this one http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...html-7814.html and have never had a problem with it.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

A low quality wrench will not kill you when it breaks.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:01 AM
Administrator

I have the same as songee... but I think I paid $59 for it, on sale. I think it was $79 for a while
Old 03-15-2012, 09:41 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Hyundai Accent

i use a similar jack to pas and have had it for years. works just fine.

as far as paying for quality and jacks failing, you guys are forgetting one important fact:

- if you are using the jack correctly you shot not be hurt if it fails. its called jackstands. NEVER get under a car without jackstands in place! the jack can fail all it wants, i won't get under without jackstands. the hydraulic jack is NOT meant to hold that weight with you under it. i don't care what jack you're using and if it cost $5 or $1000. same goes for wheel chocks, don't even start lifting without them in place first. that way the car has a hard time rolling off your jacks...like say if you forget to put your parking brake on like my silly neighbour.

as far as jackstands go, i use some cheap 3 ton stands. they're from princess auto, doesn't get much cheaper. reason i don't worry is that if they state that they will hold whatever weight, they really can likely hold over double that for failure. its a standards/certification thing. even the cheapest chineese manufacturer will overdesign something like that because if it doesn't hold the weight they spec for that equipment and it fails, someone is in a lot of legal trouble. solution is you design a 3 ton jack stand to hold 6 before failure.

so yes my recommendation is if you're not using the jack constantly, get a cheaper one. as long as they are not reputed to break down all the time it shouldn't be a problem. when it does break down, you get a new one and end up paying less over time than buying the expensive one. at the same time, you should always be inspecting your equipment for any leaks or defects before using it. common sense.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:00 AM
Administrator

I don't know that anyone is still here that was at NOPI back in... 2003? A bunch of us (RED ZMAN, Javageek, Viper, and MANY others) were there. I forget who had the orange cuda Tib, but the car fell on him while changing out his alternator at the show. Scary sh*t... luckily it was just the front bumper and it gave a little as he scurried out from under it. It could've been REAL bad, but no damage was done. scissor jack ftl
Old 03-15-2012, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

bah...just use wood

Or old wheels,concrete blocks and whatever is handy

It's your life, but I wouldn't trust mine to a chinese made by ???? company sold by HF known for their shoddy/cheap merchandise.

I'm not a "tool snob" saying that everything needs to be craftsman/snap-on/matco or whatever. But anytime where SAFETY is an issue, go for quality, not saving money.