General Performance & Hyundai Chat If you can't figure out which performance/modifications catagory to put your post in, then put it here. Also use this are to discuss general things about your Hyundai.

Garage organization

Old 08-26-2015, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T
Default Garage organization

I've been going through my garage and getting it organized some more and I'm at that point of WTF do I do now?

I want to put some tool on the peg board but I just don't know how I want to organize it. Along with i got a lot of other stuff to determine where it goes. Being limited in space is making me think harder about what I keep and what I let go. ALong with trying to make it easier to work in the garage without letting go too much of my stuff!!

I laid out my wrenches that I plan to put on the peg board and now starting to think of what else I want to put there. But at the same time i got stuff that just have to go somewhere and the board seems to be the ideal spot for it so I have to put it on there. Then there's the how do I hang it all?

Along with the open shelves, I've come to the point that I want to close everything so it's not as open and allow dirt/wood/etc collect on everything as this is my only place to do automotive work and wood work so trying to make it work for me. Been looking at lateral cabinets but trying to find that style I want is being challenging so I just wait and keep watching craigslist for new ones to pop up.

None the less I just keep plugging away a little at a time and as I go I keep thinking of different ideas and I get irritated that i wasted time on one way and decided later that another way is better.

Surely I'm not alone.....
Old 08-26-2015, 08:51 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

If you can find used optimedia cabinets. These....

I found 2 and they are the best cabinets i have in my garage because they have no doors! Nothing to swing out and hit your car. They are sturdy as hell and you can find used ones quite cheap.
Old 08-27-2015, 06:19 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

I just sat here for 10 minutes hypnotized by the OP's signature.

What are we talking about?
Old 08-27-2015, 06:31 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

I went with the gladiators, but they're not cheap. I've just been buying them one at a time as I need more space. Over time, it's really not that bad to purchase and makes the garage look modern.

I also put up a peg board 5yrs ago for hand tools. I have mixed feelings about it. On one hand, to have the tools right there on the wall is extremely convenient. Takes no time to grab the one you want versus opening and sifting through a toolbox. On the other hand, it seems like I'm putting every tool there for the convenience and it's now attacking my eyes with clutter. I'm a little bit of a neat freak and hate cluttered walls and shelves. I'm gonna have to go through it and remove the tools I don't use everyday.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

I'v got a little workshop behind the garage so I have some extra room there, but I'm using the Kobalt tools cabinets and benches. Not the best stuff, but it looks good and holds up well. The previous owner put up some pegboard but like JonGTR I hate how messy it looks after time. In fall I plan to drywall it and hang new lighting.

Old 08-27-2015, 10:51 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

I've got both the large and small cabinets you're showing. I even mounted the large one off the floor so that I could sweep under it.

Unless you can get a 20% off coupon from Lowes, Amazon has the best pricing for them.