General Performance & Hyundai Chat If you can't figure out which performance/modifications catagory to put your post in, then put it here. Also use this are to discuss general things about your Hyundai.

Electrical Help...Random...Anybody???

Old 07-27-2001, 03:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Help...Random...Anybody???

Ok Im trying to install the neon wiper nozzles and a neon shift knob, ricey i know but i like'em anyway. Here's the prob...i tried to run the shifter wires into the cigarett lighter but that didnt work and now anything i plug into the lighter doesnt work either, and i tried to run the nozzle wires into the just about everything; headlights, cornering lights, fuse box, battery....and that didnt work. Can somone tell me where to run these wires and how to get my cigarett lighter working again.
Old 07-27-2001, 03:03 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

For the cig lighter...Does your clock still work? If not, check the main fuse for the Cig lighter. If it is just the cig lighter out....check the fuse inline with the Cig lighter.

For the wiper lights, run them to your parking lights/turn signals. They will come on anytime the lights are on, and will "blink" with your turn signals.
Old 07-27-2001, 03:32 AM

Ok, the clock works i just think somthing is wrong with the wiring...i dont know what. And for the nozzles what do i hook the wires to do i take the plug out of the lights and just wrap the ends around the wires in the plug or somthing like that. Im confused when i comes to this stuff
Old 07-27-2001, 04:04 AM

Ok, wait the lighter works the clock works but i still cant get the shifter wires to work, and i just blew the damn fuse to my cornering lights and turn signal...i checked the box and cant find anything wrong there but it has to be the fuse.God this is frustrating. I have to go to work now with now left turn signal. Now if you could get back to me on this new problem, and how to wire the shifter and nozzles i would be forever in debt to you. Thanks
Old 07-27-2001, 05:04 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Wiring lights is one of the simplest tasks in creation. You only have 2 Wires to worry about. One is Positive, one is negative. You've got a 50% chance of getting the wiring right on the first try. If the item does not light up when you connect the wires, reverse the wires from the light. VIola.

I cannot understand anything that you could have done that would cause the cigarette light to stop functioning, short of either physically disconnecting it, or blowing the fuse.

You would be better off to NOT hook anything directy to the cigarette lighter though. For your Shifter...if you hooked it to the dash lights, it would only come on when you headlights are on. If you hook it to the cigarette lighter, it will be on all the damn time (any time the car is on). It will burn out in a very short time. (not to mention get damn hot!)

For your wiper lights, there are 3 wires going to the turn signals. 1 for the parking light positive, 1 for the turn signal positive, and 1 for ground. YOu should hook them up to one of the wires and the ground wire. 99% of the time, the ground wire is the opposite color of the other wire. SO if you have to white wires, the ground should be black. If you have 2 black wires, the ground should be white. That being said, hyundai uses some really original wire color coding, so it may be 2 yellows and a blue...or something like that...at any rate, the wire that is by itself is the ground wire. Then you have a 50% chance of getting the right wire for the parking lights. If you get it wrong, leave the ground alone and just move the positive wire.
Old 07-27-2001, 03:27 PM

Alright, im going to fool with the wiper nozzles, i did all that and it still didnt work so maybe the bulb was already blown in the nozzle ill have to try the other one tomorrow that should be fun trying to get past the battery, and with the shifter 'someone tell me if this will work' i will hook it up to the fuse for the dash lights?
Old 07-28-2001, 12:45 AM

Ok i dont know why but i took the nuts and everything securing the nozzles to my hood off and now they work...what the hell. Anyway no i just need to get them secured and keep them working and as for the shifter???? I dont have a clue nothing seems to work.
Old 07-28-2001, 03:39 AM

Well my guess it that the washers were grounded to the hood threw the nuts that hold them on if this is the case then you should only need to run a power wire out to a switched 12vlt power supply. Depending where you grounded it the point of origin my be a negative trigger meaning constant 12vlts but becomes grounded when switched. You should be able to grond right to the nut on the washer provided you ruff the paint up a little to test if it will be a good ground take a multimeter put the positive to the 12vlt supply of your choice and hold the negative tester to the metal if you geta reading (i.e. 12vlts) you have a good ground. Doing it this way will elimanate one more wire to run and make it look alot cleaner of an install.