General Performance & Hyundai Chat If you can't figure out which performance/modifications catagory to put your post in, then put it here. Also use this are to discuss general things about your Hyundai.

Cheeky driving tips

Old 04-17-2013, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo
Default Cheeky driving tips

I want to share a few sneaky techniques I've been experimenting with for the past while. Please add to this thread so everyone on HA can become master ace drivers.

tip 1: On a rwd car, lightly drag on the e-brake when accelerating out of a corner, hairpins especially. Rather than uselessly spinning the inside wheel, you can now put down a little power. Apparently this works really well on torsen diffs, but I've been doing it on an open diff and it works fine.

tip 2: Can't afford a racing harness? Me neither. Once you have the driving position you want, recline the seat a few notches. Yank on the seatbelt to lock it, then return the seatback to how you originally set it. Free harness!

tip 3: When you see a traffic light change to red in the distance, slow down sooner rather than later. If nobody is behind you, you can slow right down to a crawl. When the light goes green, other traffic will be at a dead stop, while you will already be rolling. Great way of saving fuel and getting out of a block of traffic at the same time. Of course it helps if you know the intersection and how long the lights take to cycle.

tip 4: Most people don't turn the steering wheel enough when they are cornering really hard. Most OEM cars give peak grip just after the steering wheel goes light in your hands, but this does go out the window with aftermarket cars.

That's all I can think of for now, but please add to this thread. I know some of you are track whores and are keeping your driving wizardry from the rest of us.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:18 PM

Vehicle: 1997 RD 4-door

i'll be suprised if people were oblivious to the fact that seat belts lock up when you yank them..

well, maybe most cars.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:31 PM

Vehicle: 84 VW Rabbit, 01 Audi A8L, 08 VW GTI

I constantly do tip #3, for exactly those reasons, it saves me some gas, and jumps me ahead of the rest of the traffic most of the time
Old 04-18-2013, 02:41 AM

Vehicle: Hyundai Accent

iv done all of the above other then e brake one.

I did the seatbelt thing from early age. Because i felt the seat-belt was never really tight enough.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:52 AM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

#2 and #3 aren't secrets. As soon as I started driving stick I figured both of those out.