General Performance & Hyundai Chat If you can't figure out which performance/modifications catagory to put your post in, then put it here. Also use this are to discuss general things about your Hyundai.

Building your own work bench

Old 01-30-2012, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2005 Tiburon GT
Default Building your own work bench

Anybody here ever made their own work bench for their garage? I was thinking about maybe buying some cheap cabinets from IKEA and going that route but I'm wondering what other options I have for benches. Thanks.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:40 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Get a cheap door, screw the hinges to the wall, use chains from the wall to the corners, and adjust so it's level.

Instant folding work surface!
Old 01-30-2012, 06:32 PM

Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon

i wouldn't do the ikea thing-... that wood isn't the kinda stuff you wanna get any kind of grease or liquids on-...

i had got:

(4) 4x4@40" legs

(4) 2x8@8' side runners

(2) 1/2 plywood 2'x8' work surface and bottom shelf

(4) 2x4@2' short side runners

(?) 2x4@21" for supports

it was relatively cheap and it's pretty stout i used to keep my old engine on the bottom shelf along w/ my bins of tools. it's nothing fancy but it's very functional-... i left just enough room between the floor and the shelf to slide my oil can, jack, and spare tire. worked out nice.

there's also stanley (tool maker) who have a prefab work bench-... i had to move one once and they're not too shabby. builing your own will probably be your best bet.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

I made a "ladder" of 2x4s spaced a couple feet apart, with an outer perimeter of 2x4s - all laid out flat (2"H x 4"W) and screwed that together with BIG deck screws. 3/4" plywood top for strength screwed to the frame. 3/4" melamine on top of that, screwed to plywood, for a smooth work surface that cleans easily. 4x4s for legs with powerstrips on legs. 3/4" MDF shelf about a foot deep, supported by 2x4s, under the bench by the wall. Steel L brackets at joints. This thing is STOUT and I got it as somebody else's scrap wood pile (score! thanks Jesus!).

2 major pieces of advice:

For the work surface height: Stand up straight. Extend your arms straight down in front of you, with palms down, hands flat/fingers facing away from you to the front, with the backs of your wrists touching the front your hips. Have an assistant measure the distance from the floor to the palms of your hands. This is your workbench height, and it is an iron rule. Trust me on this, you will be SOOOO glad you did this.

For the work surface depth: Have your assistant put something in front of your waist to mimic the edge of a workbench at about the right height and close to a wall. Lean over toward the wall, extending fingers like you are reaching for a pencil that just rolled across the bench or something. The far edge of your work surface should be within a couple of inches +/- from the end of your fingertips, and the edge should but up against the wall.

You will use it for years to come . . . design your work area to fit your body!
Old 01-31-2012, 10:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis Coupe 2L track

When I changed out my wooded door for a metal one I used the wood door and some 4x4s for legs and a 2x4 across the back attached to the wall. Threw a couple of drawers under it and now it's always ready to pile more junk on....