General Performance & Hyundai Chat If you can't figure out which performance/modifications catagory to put your post in, then put it here. Also use this are to discuss general things about your Hyundai.

Best way to purchase a used motor?

Old 07-23-2012, 10:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2005 Hyundai Tiburon GT
Default Best way to purchase a used motor?

Whats going on y'all? Here's the thing, I plan on buying a motor soon for my j2 and want to know the best way to do it. Here are my plans: I want to get another 1.8l with low miles because mine has alot of miles. I want to get a decent motor and do a little bit of a rebuild to. I want to do new pistons, rings, valves, maybe bearings and oil pump and a port and polish. After I install and break it in I plan on running nitrous. Later down the road I plan on going to school for auto tech and want to have this car as a project to build a bad ass motor.

What do you guy think is the best way to get a motor from your experience? I have been searching car-parts.com and seen some good motors near by. I think that would be best if the price and miles are good. I want it to be at a good price and condition so it will last me awhile and hold up to the nitrous if I plan on running a bigger shot then the 50-75 (will upgrade fuel pump for 75) I plan on. I know the junkyard is an option. I had a not so good experience with buying a trans and i doubt it will find a motor that is to my expectations. A junkyard motor is cheaper but I have to do the work pulling it and I dont think I will find one with low miles but its not out of the question. If I get a motor with over 100k and do the rebuild will it be worth it?

Rebuilding my motor is out of the question. It has over 220k and has been burning oil for a while I dont think its in good condition for what I want to do. I want to spend around $600 give or take. If I get a motor from the junkyard I do want to put more money into it and if I find one online with not to many miles not so much.

What do you guys think is best? What kinda of rebuild should I do if I get a motor with alot of miles or little? What has worked best for you? Open to any ideas! Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Old 07-24-2012, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

I was going to type 'it depends' but stopped myself.

If you are going junkyard roaming and have the tools, you can at least do a compression test, or even a leakdown test if you are feeling fancy. Pop off the rocker cover and check out the oil color, look at the condition of the car to see if it's even been maintained etc.

With a rebuild as thorough as that, you can't really go wrong unless the head has been destroyed by overheating or something.