General Performance & Hyundai Chat If you can't figure out which performance/modifications catagory to put your post in, then put it here. Also use this are to discuss general things about your Hyundai.

Battery Relocation?

Old 10-22-2002, 12:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 02 Elantra
Default Battery Relocation?

I am going to put the battery in the trunk but I am looking for a couple answers and suggestions.

The negative ground currently runs from the battery to the transmission case. Should I leave that cable attached to the transmission case and then run the other end of that cable to the body in the engine bay? Or should I just take it out? I know I need to ground the battery to the body in the trunk I could use that cable if the consensus is to take it out.

I would like to keep the positive wires off the battery intact with post mount and just hookup to this post mounting with the new positive cable from the trunk. Does anyone have a good idea for connecting these two positive wires without taking the original positive cable apart? I would like the connection to mount to the frame rail also.

I like the Moroso kit but the box and cable cost around $200. Any other good ideas for low price? I may get the Kmart battery box, and the local parts store wants $39 for 25' of cable.

[ October 22, 2002, 07:36 AM: Message edited by: Jmontigny ]
Old 10-22-2002, 02:26 AM

I'll toss ya my $ 0.02,

I would unhook the positive cable as normally it just runs to the starter and has a piggy back wire for other items and make a nice battery cut off under the hood. On one side to the starter and the othre side to battery and the "feeder wire" so that the feed wire keeps the 12v constant available.

As for the ground I would reccomend switch it to a double end cable and tie one to the front frame rail and let the othre end hooked to the tranny.

In the trunk I would ground to the frame someplace if not run it all the way back to the front. (I personally would run it to the front).

As for a battery box get your self one from k-mart and a nice looing strap to tie it down with.

Just my $0.02
Dave
Old 10-22-2002, 03:11 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

For battery relocation, I would ground the battery to the frame in the trunk.

I would then install a groud strap from the frame to the passenger side engine block and one from the frame to the tranny/block on the drivers side.

Just make sure you have enough ground cable to allow the engine to flex/move without stressing that cable, and you should be fine.
Old 10-22-2002, 04:22 AM

Any more ideas for the positive cables? What would be a clean way of connecting the positives together while retaining the factory post connector where it came off the battery up front.

It looks like I may be using this for now with the positive.

I would use the inline disconnect.

[ October 22, 2002, 11:32 AM: Message edited by: Jmontigny ]
Old 10-22-2002, 09:09 AM

Get a battery relocation kit from Summit Racing. I think it's like $40-$50. I plan to do that once I get my car running again. wink
Old 10-22-2002, 10:48 AM

My friend has the one from summitt and it looks real cheap. I found this one at Kmart I am going to look at this weekend. It is $39 with acc plug, remote terminals, and battery power indicator.

[ October 22, 2002, 05:48 PM: Message edited by: Jmontigny ]
Old 10-23-2002, 01:01 PM

If you plan on relocating your battery in the trunk make sure you have the battery incased in a marine battery holder witha lid and strap, just incase the battery boils over and the gasing it produces when its being charged by the alternator.
Old 10-23-2002, 03:52 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: x3 accent gk tiburon santa fe

Right the moroso battery box is $$$$$ but it'S one of the nicest and best designed one,rather then just incasing the battery like the marine battery box it's sealed and you'll vent the hydrogen out of the car with the tube (good thing)included in the kit
Taylor also offer a sealed battery box,also available fro most speed shops it'S made of aluminium if you prefer the shiny look ;

or you could get an Optima battery and forget about the box,those are great they won't never leak and will emit much less hydrogen when recharged

for your wires, use at least 2 gauges wires
(longuer wires will add resistance to the system so you need larger ones)
negative wire will go fro mthe battery to the floor pan (sand all the paint off to get a good contact) then like Random said,use a wire on both side of the engine/tranny
for the positive one,run the wire from the battery to the starter,then run a 8 gauge wire form the starter to the smaller red wire wich was attached to the battery post,to splice it in use a butt terminal, solder it then put shrink tube over it
you shouldn't have any problems that way

Denis