General Performance & Hyundai Chat If you can't figure out which performance/modifications catagory to put your post in, then put it here. Also use this are to discuss general things about your Hyundai.

3D printing parts for cars

Old 08-10-2016, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2005 Elantra
Default 3D printing parts for cars

Who has been able to 3D print parts for their cars? I imagine that if anybody did it they would have to be used for something that doesnt involve high heat or a lot of pressure since 3D parts are just thin plastic.
Old 08-10-2016, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

3D parts can be solid plastic though
Old 08-10-2016, 09:08 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

This depends on the type of print media and printer. I have a fairly cheap consumer 3D printer that I've modified to print reliably with ABS. Using this method I can print just about anything. In fact I've been working on a plenum and ITB system for nearly a year now. The trick is to use the ABS prints as a plug to create molds then fill those molds as desired. In my case I've spent all of 2016 building a workshop just for working with carbon fiber. With the correct epoxy blends and treatments, carbon can be made to withstand those kinds of temperatures. The thing that's really misunderstood about the technology is that 3D printing is not a sudden gateway to creating anything. Prints are often very brittle. Not to mention you need to pay close attention print resolution and fill techniques. The only printer capable of the kind of size and quality needed to mechanical devices still range far out of any reasonable persons budget.

Technically you could build a DIY aluminum foundry and fill the molds with aluminum. But even those casts are brittle in comparison to a fine billet CNC job. It may work for a race car that you build on the cheap and don't mind throwing out broken parts all of the time, but for a road car it's a terrible idea and potentially dangerous. Not to mention the danger of working with molten aluminum in the first place.
Old 08-25-2016, 11:33 PM

Vehicle: 2011/Kia/Soul

Accura Bluestone looks like a contender for 3D printing something like an intake manifold. Good up to 250 Celsius with a high tensile strength. Even advertised as useful "under the hood".

http://proto3000.com/assets/uploads/...aBluestone.pdf