External Appearance Modifications to the exterior of your car. Body Kits, Head lights/bulbs, tail lights/bulbs, spoilers, antennas, sidemarkers, etc.

Windshield Wipers

Old 02-09-2005, 07:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL
Default Windshield Wipers

Okay, it started to rain today, so I get into my car I turn on my windshield wipers and they no workie. Well, kinda, they went REALLY REALLY slow, then halfway through my trip, they stopped working altogether. Thank God for RainX washer fluid cause I'd be stuck.

I checked to see if I had stripped them. No.

I checked to see if they were loose. No.

So anyway, does anyone know where the motor is that controls these babies. I'm assuming that this is the problem cause I can't think of anything else.

TC do you have one possibly?!? LOL
Old 02-09-2005, 09:47 AM

the motor is inside the engine compartment, on the firewall between the brake master cylinder and the clutch resevour.. You can't miss it.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:07 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

http://hmaservice.com/webtech/iindex.asp?i...id=12568#_12568
Old 02-09-2005, 12:36 PM

So I was right and it is definitely the motor?? I can't think of anything else it might be.
Old 02-09-2005, 02:23 PM

it does sounds like the motor. i cant imagine itll be all that expensive to replace. try that and let us know what happens
Old 02-09-2005, 03:15 PM

Well called a dealer and it's $156 for the motor and $85 for the linkage. i 'm going now to take it apart. It's too damn cold though, and I'm not looking forward to it.
Old 02-09-2005, 03:17 PM

QUOTE (silvertibbs)
Well called a dealer and it's $156 for the motor and $85 for the linkage. i 'm going now to take it apart. It's too damn cold though, and I'm not looking forward to it.

Is that WITH tax?
The linkage seems like $10 too much
Old 02-09-2005, 03:28 PM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

I had the same problem.
One day I turn wipers on - they moved couple of times then slower, slower, slower and finaly stoped.

It is NOT a motor.

The problem is in wiper linkage (the thing which is turned by motor and is turning wipers).

things in red is not moving or moving very hardly.

You can try to use a lot of WD40 to clean them (not helped for me). So I changed this part (it took about 30 minutes).

PS. be carefull when you will be installing your wipers (if you turn them on they can start to moving down), so before tightening blade arms check it.

PSS. do not put something (hands, wrench, other stuff) in the place where wiper linkage is when you will turn on wipers.

PSSS. when you will remove wiper arms be carefull not to scratch hood.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:00 PM

Okay, done. $96 dollars later I have new "wiper linkage" didn't know there was such a thing but hey, gotta find out somehow.

Just as a word of caution for anyone doing this. There is NO way to fix what happened. I took it apart, it is actually a cool little system, I never knew how they worked but it is pretty neat. I found the problem, the things that turn the wipers were seized. It hasn't been that cold and I saw a little bit of discolouration and thought a little WD-40 would work. The pass side one moved afterwards so I thought the same would go for the driver side. Wrong. Totally seized. Borrowed the parents' van and picked up the stupid linkage from the dealer. Easy as pie.

Thanks for the suggestions Dimitry, tibby01, you are a master at finding stuff on webtech. I dunno how you do it.

Kayjai.........I think I got hosed!!! laugh.gif:

I realize a junkyard would have this for cheap, but having no wipers in the dead of winter sucks, and I don't want to deal with this again.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:51 PM

Glad you got it fixed.
Was gonna say it's probably not the motor, they rarely go, unless you leave the linkage broken (seized) for a heck of a long time and then try to use your wipers duh.gif which stresses out your motor and fries it.

But We stock the linkages, cuz we know they go, but not as bad as 2000+ Accent linkages,... dunno why, but they are the most common.

BTW, which dealership did you buy the linkage from,... just outta curiosity