External Appearance Modifications to the exterior of your car. Body Kits, Head lights/bulbs, tail lights/bulbs, spoilers, antennas, sidemarkers, etc.

Where to get stuff?

Old 05-15-2009, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon
Default Where to get stuff?

Hey all,

I'm new to this forum. My son has an '01 Tiburon. The headlight covers are so faded you can hardly see through them. I've heard you can buff them out, but I'd rather buy new ones. Yet I can't seem to find anywhere that has them?

What is a good site to get things like this? Even stock ones would be fine, but are there any nice aftermarket ones as well?

The same question goes for the front turn signal lenses....one fell off his car the other day.

Thanks!
Skarn
Old 05-15-2009, 12:41 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I don't know where specifically to get them but you can look through the links here and see if you can find them.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:41 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Hi skarn! welcome.gif to the site! Would you be able to explain more as far as what you mean by headlight covers? To my knowledge they dont make actual covers for the RD2 tibs (00-01). They do make some old skool black covers for the RD1's though (96-99), but are hard to find.

If you're talking about the actual headlights themselves, then it depends really if they are scratched & scuffed or if they are dull looking from the inside. If they are scuffed from the outside, then you can probaly take some good wax and polish them up. If they are faded and dull from the inside, then the only thing you can do is take the lights apart, clean them and put them together again. If you're gonna take the lights apart however, then you should invest in a good set of headlight halos to really help set the car apart.

Explain more though as far as what you mean with headlight covers, and we can probably help out a bit more and point you in a better direction. smile.gif
Old 05-15-2009, 01:48 PM

QUOTE(Visionz @ May 15 2009, 02:41 PM)
Hi skarn! welcome.gif to the site! Would you be able to explain more as far as what you mean by headlight covers? To my knowledge they dont make actual covers for the RD2 tibs (00-01). They do make some old skool black covers for the RD1's though (96-99), but are hard to find.

If you're talking about the actual headlights themselves, then it depends really if they are scratched & scuffed or if they are dull looking from the inside. If they are scuffed from the outside, then you can probaly take some good wax and polish them up. If they are faded and dull from the inside, then the only thing you can do is take the lights apart, clean them and put them together again. If you're gonna take the lights apart however, then you should invest in a good set of headlight halos to really help set the car apart.

Explain more though as far as what you mean with headlight covers, and we can probably help out a bit more and point you in a better direction. smile.gif

Thanks for the welcome and replies.

What I mean by headlight covers....I should have said the headlight housing I guess. The Actual headlights are very small bulbs that sit inside of what I am referring to now as the housing. The bulb shines onto a "projector" type lens that is also within the housing.

So I am speaking of the plastic housing. It appears very dull and after reading many posts in this and other forums, apparently I can use Meguiars Plastic-X and buff it away....

I am also thinking about checking local junkyars for the corner piece that fell out.

Thanks again,
Skarn
Old 05-16-2009, 11:20 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, 99% of the time when someone says their headlamps are faded from the inside, it's on the outside. It just appears from the inside because the inside of the cover is shiney and reflective and you can see the back of the cracks better then the front.

You're going to need new corner lamps, or you have the makings of the clear corner DIY http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtopic=576

The other way to go is to spend $60 to have a set of OEM korean clear corners shipped out.

Those are the best options. You could always buy a junker and restore the plastic on the lens.

Here's what you do to restore the plastic on your lenses...
1. Drop the bumper off the car. it takes 15 minutes, a phillips screw driver and a 10mm socket.
2. sand the front of the headlamp with 300grit sand paper and keep it wet so that the sand paper does not clog. This will remove the oxidation
3. Move up in double increments... 600, 1000, 2000 grit sand paper, ensuring that you clean up the scuff marks left from the previous step with each new step. Get it nice and smooth with 2000 grit sand paper
4. polish the plastic with meguire's plastic polish (called Plast-X). The stuff kinda melts the very very top layer of the plastic and will do a good job of making the sanded plastic perfectly clear again.

I always use plast-x as maintenance on my headlamps. It just takes a small pit to become a larger and larger one and eventually the headlamps are ruined.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:26 AM

Thanks DTN for the details.

I couldn't find any decent online places for the original OEM corners...so I ended up getting him clear ones from Shark racing for $80 shipped (for both).

I will definitely try the restoration for the headlight plastic...thanks!

I just installed an amp and sub for him and it was easy finding a hole in the firewall thanks to these forums. This car is way too much fun and I think he's going to benefit from me wanting to tinker with it!

Skarn

QUOTE(DTN @ May 16 2009, 01:20 PM)
Well, 99% of the time when someone says their headlamps are faded from the inside, it's on the outside. It just appears from the inside because the inside of the cover is shiney and reflective and you can see the back of the cracks better then the front.

You're going to need new corner lamps, or you have the makings of the clear corner DIY http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtopic=576

The other way to go is to spend $60 to have a set of OEM korean clear corners shipped out.

Those are the best options. You could always buy a junker and restore the plastic on the lens.

Here's what you do to restore the plastic on your lenses...
1. Drop the bumper off the car. it takes 15 minutes, a phillips screw driver and a 10mm socket.
2. sand the front of the headlamp with 300grit sand paper and keep it wet so that the sand paper does not clog. This will remove the oxidation
3. Move up in double increments... 600, 1000, 2000 grit sand paper, ensuring that you clean up the scuff marks left from the previous step with each new step. Get it nice and smooth with 2000 grit sand paper
4. polish the plastic with meguire's plastic polish (called Plast-X). The stuff kinda melts the very very top layer of the plastic and will do a good job of making the sanded plastic perfectly clear again.

I always use plast-x as maintenance on my headlamps. It just takes a small pit to become a larger and larger one and eventually the headlamps are ruined.