External Appearance Modifications to the exterior of your car. Body Kits, Head lights/bulbs, tail lights/bulbs, spoilers, antennas, sidemarkers, etc.

Whats your definition of a show car?

Old 08-19-2012, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2007 Accent
Default Whats your definition of a show car?

Expensive paint job? Body kit? Custom interior? Giant stereo system?

Can a daily driver be considered a show car or are real show cars trailer queens? Let the debate begin
Old 08-20-2012, 08:12 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

Proper show cars are built to meet exacting club standards, and are then classed accordingly. Showroom/condition 1, restored/condition 2 and so on. They aren't the exact classes but you get the idea.

As for the import scene, it isn't very defined. If the car is horrendously riced and built for 'style' over substance? That's all it seems to need these days.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:49 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

the "show" scene seems to have turned into a "social gathering" more than car shows. At least here locally. There seems to be less emphasis on doing what it takes to bring home a trophy, and more emphasis on hanging out and showing your style - and letting it be judged.

I've been to a lot of meets, cruise-ins, and "shows" lately that haven't given away any trophies. I prefer it that way. I used to travel to the regional NOPI events, the national show, and be willing to hump a judges leg to win a $4 plastic trophy. I realize now that IDGAF what someone else thinks of my car, especially when they can't tell the difference between a dealer installed body kit that someone overpaid for, and some custom work that took months to make it look as good as factory built. When you have 10 judges spread across 500+ vehicles, you can't get good judging.

Do what you do, and rep it how you like. Car shows, at least in my area, seem to be changing considerably from what they were 10 years ago.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:15 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Show Car/Trailer Queen

Not A Show Car

Daily Driven Show Car

Old 08-20-2012, 10:30 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Originally Posted by Visionz
Not A Show Car

Ooh god! Make it stop, make it stop!!!
Old 08-20-2012, 10:44 AM

Daily Drives Show Car -

But I fully agree with....

the "show" scene seems to have turned into a "social gathering" more than car shows. At least here locally. There seems to be less emphasis on doing what it takes to bring home a trophy, and more emphasis on hanging out and showing your style - and letting it be judged.

I've been to a lot of meets, cruise-ins, and "shows" lately that haven't given away any trophies. I prefer it that way. I used to travel to the regional NOPI events, the national show, and be willing to hump a judges leg to win a $4 plastic trophy. I realize now that IDGAF what someone else thinks of my car, especially when they can't tell the difference between a dealer installed body kit that someone overpaid for, and some custom work that took months to make it look as good as factory built. When you have 10 judges spread across 500+ vehicles, you can't get good judging.

Do what you do, and rep it how you like. Car shows, at least in my area, seem to be changing considerably from what they were 10 years ago.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:36 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

Lets be realistic, the term "show car" is such a loose definition.

I cant think of the last time I went an import "show." I've been to quite a few classic and rat-rod shows, but even then there wasn't the shear level of negativity that use to spew from a lot of the import shows I used to attend. Its kind of deviation from the point a bit, but most import tuners cant handle competition. There are some, but how many times did a "best paint" winner get keyed, or a "fastest 1/4" get it tires shanked. It rarely happens at a lot of the shows I go to with the exception of the random ricer that shows up with a basically bone-stock civic and starts trash talking. One instance from recent memory was a fool showing up to a local rat-rod show with a DC Integra with all the trimmings: Lots of stickers, el cheapo American racing rims, $30 weld on glass pack, shitty used ebay turbo, log manifold, spectre autozone intake... Like I said, all the trimmings. Long story short he tried to entice a fight out of every guy in the show under 30 and was eventually made to leave. Pathetic. I much prefer the meet atmosphere. Not to say that there's not a**hole there, but talking away the competitive spirit really calms a lot of the douchebaggery down.

Now to say a "show quality" car, of course you can dd a show "quality" car, and above are 2 very fine examples. Imho "show quality" is just claiming a certain level of cleanliness. After all, in show you declare you mods by severity (EG: mild or wild) and classed based on that event's qualifications. You wont see a veilside tib with stock motor classed with a high Hp sleeper. Both could qualify as "show quality" but differentiate in every aspect. For that matter, how many of the youtube Supra dyno queens get daily driven? Almost none because of the specialized tuning.

basically:

What is a show car?

Anything!!!

Can a show car be daily driven?

Your answer rest in the couple of posts above
Old 08-20-2012, 02:44 PM

Vehicle: 2000 tib

A true show car is exactly that !..Trailered ,never street driven,made only for "show"...I drive mine everywhere,dragrace it,and show it,(sometimes I win) ,but its not a show car by any means...Just a modded import...
Old 08-20-2012, 05:26 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Originally Posted by OTECTom

Tuscani "T" on an RD
Old 08-20-2012, 06:05 PM