External Appearance Modifications to the exterior of your car. Body Kits, Head lights/bulbs, tail lights/bulbs, spoilers, antennas, sidemarkers, etc.

veilside kit + bad roads =

Old 03-25-2004, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey well ever since i decided to get a 2nd gen tib, i wanted the veilside bodykit, BUT im slowly beginning to realize that the bodykit sits VERY low. exactly how high from the ground does this kit sit, w/ stock suspension?

and does anybody have one where there roads are pretty crappy? how does it hold up?

im planned to stiffen up the suspension in the future with coilovers, but i wanna know if i should just go for the cuda or some other kit instead, just to save me the headache of when i hit a pothole and my front bumper comes off.
Old 03-25-2004, 08:54 PM

Default veilside kit + bad roads =

Well as i understand it u WILL rub and bottom out talk to Majik Tib he got 1
Old 03-25-2004, 09:15 PM

Well, mine is a fake one, but it is the same highth. The only problem I've really had is not the roads, it's entering and exiting parking lots. If there is ANY slope you scrape. You have to enter and exit on like a 45 degree angle so that one tire at a time is making the transition. The kits also it puts your nose out farther, so when you pull into a spot with a stopper in front you have to remember that you can't pull up as far. I learned these things the hard way. I am however pleasantly supprised with how the kit has held up. My car is far from a show car so I've just touched up the paint and the fiberglass has not broken or cracked.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:19 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

eh... you'll scrape... you won't be able to get into some parking garages, parking lots, or some ramps going into shopping centers (because of steep angles) without scraping.

I have 17" wheels and my front bumper is 2.5" - 3" off the road (on a flat surface). I have a gravel driveway, and we had to bring in 21 tons of gravel to smooth it out and make it so I could get in and out without pushing rock the entire way down.... my mom has an Expedition, and sometimes causes some ruts that really don't agree with my front bumper.

Pot holes, street drains, and speed bumps also can really hurt your sides skirts. That's been my biggest problem. I also had an apartment for a while in Knoxville, TN.... I was unable to get into 2 of the entrances because of the way they were made and the steepness of the ramps, and was only able to use 1 exit/entrance... and scraped everytime I came in and out.

After having this body kit for over a year, I can drive it daily without scraping on normal roads and parking lots.... but there are still some places I can't go. You have to learn how to drive a low body car. If you do decide to get this body kit, I highly suggest you buy from a Veilside Distributor (check their site, veilside.com). If you get the cheap replica kits, with the amount of scraping you'll be doing, it will crack and chip over time. It may cost you as much as the real kit just to make the fake kit fit. I've gotten several e-mails from people buying fake kits and having to pay $1,200 to a body shop just to install it and make it fit. I had considered getting a splitter to put under my front bumper... but I can't afford for it to be 1/4" lower... I need all the height I can get (which is why I'm selling my wheels to get 18's... it'll give me about 1/2" more height)

Edit: I was typing that long message and andyengineer posted while I was typing.... he's right, you have to take ramps at an extreme angle. You do have to make sure you don't pull in too far into a parking spot and hit those cement barriers... the center of the front bumper rises up a little bit, and the first time I hit one of those cement barriers it saved my front end... it just rode up onto it. I got really lucky that it didn't go straight into it and crack it to hell.... needless to say, in the 15+ months I've had my body kit, that's the ONLY time that has happened, it won't happen again...

Oh, and if any of you have Sonic (fast food drive-in),.... it's a PITA pulling into their sports without hitting the sidewalk :x
Old 03-25-2004, 10:30 PM

yeea the veilside is one low kit.. my front is 2.75 inches off the ground.. so i run into the same problems.. but im used to it so i know what driveways or bumps i can make and what i cant just by looking at it.. its not that bad..
Old 03-25-2004, 10:32 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

yeah but you have factory wheels and have the ability to upgrade to get a higher ride height.... I'm almost maxed out :-/ same concept though, you aren't able to go into as many places as other kits....
does your front nose stick out farther than factory, or is it kinda the same? I can't really tell from the pics
Old 03-25-2004, 11:11 PM

yeow... I knew those kits sat low.... but wow.
Old 03-26-2004, 07:52 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

That's a little too low for my liking. Considering the roads where I live are crap. :x
Old 03-26-2004, 09:00 PM

are you kidding.. I have scraped with just the stock bodywork and ride height...