Hyundai Aftermarket

Hyundai Aftermarket (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/)
-   External Appearance (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/external-appearance-13/)
-   -   U.S. requires new cars to have backup cameras (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/external-appearance-13/u-s-requires-new-cars-have-backup-cameras-76635/)

03-accent-03 04-04-2014 08:08 AM

Well put, Aaron. :happyanim: :thumbup:

wheel_of_steel 04-05-2014 01:52 AM

Srs question: do we protect people from their own stupidity?

There's some shitty meme picture about 'removing all the warning labels and letting all the stupid kill itself off' that has some validity to it. However, tt's really not the toddlers fault that their parents are negligent.

So, both arguments are valid to me

In the meantime, govt agencies enjoy having lower death statistics in general

So this will probably become a thing

i8acobra 04-05-2014 07:29 PM

Problem with statistics is that they always support the person presenting them. Gov't says all of these safety nannies we keep adding save lives. What about the increase in deaths caused by inattentive driving? Let's say a motorcycle isn't detected by the new car's blind spot monitoring system and someone changes lanes right into it because they didn't bother to look. Why would they look after all... the blind spot monitor wasn't beeping? Is the death of this motorcyclist attributed by the statistics to the blind spot system? Nope. It's cause by "inattentive driving", thereby skewing the statistics on how effective blind spot monitoring is. They days of the cheap commuter car are gone. I'd guess that by 2025, fully 1/3 of the cost of a new car is going to be Gov't mandated safety and emissions equipment.

wheel_of_steel 04-09-2014 03:30 AM

Plausible. I see people around me leaning on their active safety systems already. However, there seems to be a reluctance from american and australian authorities to increase the standards/upkeep of driver training. So, the large downward trend of fatalities is mainly due to increased safety features.

I think driving a more dangerous car is an effective deterrent for a 'switched on' driver.

However most aus/US drivers don't give a single F*CK about NCAP scores or features anyway

So we can train them better so that more people are 'switched on', which costs a lot of money

Or we can stuff the cars full of features to compensate for sh*t driving, which costs a lot of money

Or we can do nothing and sink that money into more pressing causes of death, like heart and lung disease :dunno:

Stocker 04-09-2014 08:40 PM

^ For instance: my current tires suck in wet weather. I drive waaaaaaaaay slower and more carefully in the rain, for that reason.

187sks 04-10-2014 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by wheel_of_steel (Post 695823)
There's some shitty meme picture about 'removing all the warning labels and letting all the stupid kill itself off' that has some validity to it. However, tt's really not the toddlers fault that their parents are negligent.

This still sounds like genetic cleansing of inferior genes.

I honestly estimate that adding backup cameras to a car in production that already has a screen on the dash would cost less than $20 per vehicle.

i8acobra 04-10-2014 11:21 PM

Gov't already estimated cost at around $100 per vehicle. Using the Gov't to reality calculator, I estimate that number to be closer to $200.

187sks 04-11-2014 12:37 AM

I can buy a backup camera setup for less than that at retail prices.

i8acobra 04-11-2014 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by 187sks (Post 695937)
I can buy a backup camera setup for less than that at retail prices.

Can you integrate it into a vehicle's CAN BUS system so that problems are diagnosable with the manufacturer's diagnostic tools? Does the one you're looking at also have a sprayer plumbed into the washer reservoir and an air compressor to dry the lens like the one on the 2014 Nissan Rogue?

majik 04-11-2014 09:45 AM

why not require all vehicles to have 360º cameras like Infiniti and others have? It could help prevent people from hitting pedestrians, or when midgets are using the crosswalk and you can't see them in your big SUV. THINK OF THE MIDGETS!!!