External Appearance Modifications to the exterior of your car. Body Kits, Head lights/bulbs, tail lights/bulbs, spoilers, antennas, sidemarkers, etc.

Toothpaste used to restore headlights?

Old 03-31-2016, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2006 Accent
Default Toothpaste used to restore headlights?

I've heard that you can use Arm and Hammer toothpaste to restore headlights to almost new condition. Has anyone had any experience with this? I wonder if other toothpastes would work as well. I'm assuming you simply rub on the toothpaste, let it dry a little and rinse of with water and sponge. I have not tried it myself.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:05 PM

Vehicle: 84 VW Rabbit, 01 Audi A8L, 08 VW GTI

Toothpaste is an abrasive, so it is somewhat gritty, and some are more abrasive than others.

Chrisfix on youtube did a video on Youtube where he "Restored" a headlight with toothpaste. Video linked below..

No matter what way you do it, I would highly recommend either spraying or applying a clear coat to them otherwise the yellow haze will return even quicker.

Personally I used a a 3M Red Kit and a battery operated drill on my RD2 headlights and finished it off with some glass polish before coating it.

Then applied a coat of 50/50 Mineral spirits & Helmsmen indoor/outdoor Spar Urethane (Saw it as a DIY tip on a few forums like This one on LegacyGT)

The clear lasted about a year before I sold the car.

and a Pic with flash..

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXHTXdlWw1w[/media]
Old 04-06-2016, 04:25 AM

Vehicle: 07 Santa Fe

It can restore clarity of headlight though the result won't last longer. Headlight restoration kits like 3m and sylvania are still better.
Old 04-22-2016, 05:51 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS

I used it on my headlights. The yellow stain was gone.