External Appearance Modifications to the exterior of your car. Body Kits, Head lights/bulbs, tail lights/bulbs, spoilers, antennas, sidemarkers, etc.

Taillight Sealing?

Old 12-11-2005, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok i tried searching on this but couldn't find anything. If i missed something, can someone give me a link. Anyway, for thoses of you with Black Housing Euro taillights, for the 97-99 Tib, have you had any problems with moisture getting in them? Eg. washing your car. Any info would be nice. I know on the Ebay website i bought them off of, they say they are %100 fog and leak proof, but i still have a hard time believing this. sad.gif
Old 12-12-2005, 07:43 AM

What I did was to put just enough black, high temperature gasket sealer around the areas of the tail lenses that were flush with the car to prevent water from getting in.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:59 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

The black chrome ones I bought over 3 years ago don't leak at all, I didn't have to seal them.

Ebay.
Old 12-17-2005, 04:57 PM

believe it or not, just make sure that they are tight. i had the moisture prob with mine and i checked the bolts and one of them was loose. lmao.gif
i tightened it up and wah la it was sealed. cool.gif
Old 01-03-2006, 05:36 PM

Well i installed them yesterday. They don't fit quite as good as the oem lights, but they still look pretty damn good. I'll take some pics after she gets washed. fing02.gif.

Also, somehow i ended up buying 2 sets of lights, so i might be looking to sell 1 set. I'll make a post in the "For Sale" area when i get it figured out.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:55 PM

Ok, i have one quick question. I've washed my car a few times now, and no water has gotten in them or anything. However, they do fog up a little bit once i leave the car wash. I'm assuming this is because the temperature difference (since it's winter here). Anyway the fog goes away after awhile though, or when they get warmer. Now i'm pretty sure nothing is getting in them through the seal between the clear lense and the light. So i'm wondering if i put some silicone or some type of sealant where the bulbs go into the light (Making it totally sealed off), would this solve my problem of moisture getting in them. Just looking for some opinions on this. I guess it's worth a try though. smile.gif Thanks!
I'm not too worried about the moisture, i just don't want to get small water spots on the inside of them.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:45 PM

theres still a leak around the tail lights.. make sure the tailight lens is sealed properly to the backing of it.. you can add some silicon if you want to make sure its sealed
Old 01-14-2006, 01:35 PM

That's what i thought too. But let's say it wasn't completely sealed, then wouldn't some water get in there from the pressure washer? What i kinda thought was maybe moisture from inside the carwash, get's in there from the inside of the car (as there is a lot inside the car wash), and then fogs them up (as do my windows) when i leave the car wash and go into the cooler temperatures outside. I was in there for a little over an hour drying it, etc., and all the time i could see nothing in the taillights, so obvisouly they are not leaking water. It was about -8 outside and the fog still went away, so it's not like it's collecting. smile.gif