External Appearance Modifications to the exterior of your car. Body Kits, Head lights/bulbs, tail lights/bulbs, spoilers, antennas, sidemarkers, etc.

Sunroof Wont Open! Tiburon 2.0 97

Old 08-25-2008, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

Have a problem with my tiburon 2.0 97 Sunroof.
The only way i can open the sunroof, is by giving it a push with my hand.

i.e I had this problem before- I've spraied some Silicon on the black rubber, which surround the sunroof and the problem was fixed.
Have tried it this time, it does not work, the sunroof have to be hand pushed.

Will appreciate your help.

Thanks,elias
fing02.gif
Old 08-25-2008, 09:05 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

check the wires at the switch... make sure when u push the button that it is triggering... could be a fuse. could be the motor too tho.. and that would not be fun!
Old 08-25-2008, 09:21 AM

Thanks.
Sorry i did not explain my self.
I push the switch with one hand (the sunroof starts moving, but can not continue), with the other hand i give the sunroof a push. only than it continue moving (my first hand on the switch). The switch and the electric motor are working.

It has to be hand pushed only for the first move up.

Thanks,
elias
Old 08-25-2008, 11:52 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLI

i had a problem with it not closing, and turn out to be a fuse

now mine opens now but takes a minute...it could be the motor
Old 08-25-2008, 11:55 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Weak motor. Ive had it on two of my Tibs.

The silicone spray does get rid of the slight stick but if its weak enough the motor still cant move it up.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:23 PM

Same thing happens to me, but I barely ever use my sunroof here cuz it's so F'in hot here, so I've just dealt with it since it's been happening.

At least on mine, It feels like the motor is working fine, cuz after you just "break the seal" it flys right open. Im thinking it needs some Vaseline or something around that rubber seal. I go so long without opening it, and it's so hot here, it kinda bakes it shut I think. Your motor sounds like it may be in worse shape than mine though.

Okay, just went out to the car and did this.

Tried the silicone spray. Didn't work. It soaks right into that rubber seal and doesn't really lubricate much. It still stuck after a generous amount of this stuff.

Then used silicone grease, all the way around, got mine working flawlessly for now, we'll see how it holds out but it doesn't stick at all for now. I suggest you try that next, and if that doesn't work, as has been previously stated, you're motor is just too weak.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:44 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

ya sounds like a bad motor... they arent that hard to replace either. u just have to take the headliner down and its bolted right there. easy access!
Old 08-25-2008, 01:59 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

to take the headlinder out you need to take out all of the rear panels from bottom of the door up. should be a 10mm socket and a few phillips screws and seat belt bolts. once you're finished, rip out the head liner by pulling at it from one side and work your way down. it's held together by clips but be careful not to break them. it should take you a few hours depending on how quick you are.

then you can thoroughly inspect what the problem is. my our 2000 tiburon had this problem. the teeth were slipping. the dealer repaired it under warranty but i wasn't there to find out what exactly they did.

Old 08-25-2008, 02:05 PM

Thanks.

I was told that changing the black rubber to a new one or adjusting the position of the sunroof could also fix that, is it correct? did anyone tried it?

elias