External Appearance Modifications to the exterior of your car. Body Kits, Head lights/bulbs, tail lights/bulbs, spoilers, antennas, sidemarkers, etc.

Stupid nature!

Old 07-28-2010, 07:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2004 Tib I4
Default Stupid nature!

Parked under some trees last night and this morning when I went out to my car to go get some coffee, there was a ton of tree sap and bird crap all over the car. Im talking hood, roof, hatch, doors, windows, everywhere. Looks like a tree threw up sap all over and a group of birds had a case of explosive diarreah. BangHead.gif

The bird crap Im sure I can get to wash off with regular car wash but what about the tree sap? Its pretty dried up on the paint and not sure regular car soap will cut it. mad.gif fire1.gif
Old 07-28-2010, 09:00 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

I remember seeing a thread a couple months ago about tree sap.

One solution is to use gasoline. It will eat away at the sap. Possible, but doubtful damage to paint.

Other is bug&tar remover.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:18 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Don't use gasoline. Give it a good cleaning with dawn dish soap. It cuts the grime. It also takes off any wax you have on the car so you must finish up with a wax or have your paint subject to the elements. After dawn, if you still have problems, you can use rubbing compound, a clay bar (not a phony liquid clay bar), a plastic spreader to chip off the surface and repeat with dawn dish soap. I've never tried bug and tar remover on tree sap. It's supposed to work. Those are the safe tools to use on this. This is the reason you should keep a wax on the car. Use meguires NXT 2.0 for a high shine, or use TurtleWax F21 for a long lasting shine. Either way, protection is prevention.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:01 PM

Vehicle: 1998 & 2001 Tiburon

I had this exact same problem a few weeks ago. The huge walnut tree over my driveway decided to take a dump two days after my silver tib got fresh paint. Since the car didn't have any wax on it because of the new paint it was extra hard to get the sap removed. I tried several things, dawn dish soap, WD-40, orange goo-gone, but none of them completely removed the sap. Finally I tired this Rain-X stuff I found at wal-mart. I sprayed it over the entire car(took the whole bottle), let it sit for about 15 minutes, then hand washed the car with hot water and dawn. Sap is completely gone!