External Appearance Modifications to the exterior of your car. Body Kits, Head lights/bulbs, tail lights/bulbs, spoilers, antennas, sidemarkers, etc.

Street legal ?'s

Old 05-21-2001, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Street legal ?'s

Anyone know the legalities of hyper lights and turn signals...whats legal when chnaging your bulbs in CA?
Old 05-21-2001, 05:27 PM

I got the hyper white headlight (blue tinted), and bright azz blue blinker lights (front and back) with clear corners.....I live in DE and NJ, and drive around in Baltimore and NYC and no cops have given me a hard time....I asked a state trooper in NJ and he said they didn't really care as long as they weren't strobes, and as long as I didn't get all clear tail lenses, I'd be fine....hope that helped *shrug*
Old 05-21-2001, 11:09 PM

In CA, it matters only in the area that you live in, I live in Fremont, If I go 12 miles South into San Jose, The cops there will give you a hard time, but I think its because so many poeple do it here in the Bay area and alot of them are into racing gangs, car clubs that race there cars at night in public streets so it is easy for the cops to label someone with all the mods to be in a gang. And they will pull you over to check your records and see if they can find something else to nail you on, if not then they will give you a fix it ticket, to where you have to take what they say is illegal, clear corners and blue tinted headlamps off and report to the police station showing proof that you replaced the mods with the stock components. In Fremont and San Jose they will pull you over. In Oakland They don't care. And the CHP they are too busy to pull someone over for it. So all I can say is to drive around with them on in San Diego and see what you can get away with.... Do you cruise around Chula Vista or Riverside? I have family down there!!!
Old 05-22-2001, 01:57 AM

Without probable cause cops can not pull you over to check your records. The catch to that statement is what consists of "probable cause"? They could say your car looks like someone elses or some other BS story.
I do not believe that super whites would be probable cause enough to pull someone over because they come factory in some cars.
If you are getting harrassed by cops in your area I highly recomend learning your rights and the local laws.
Old 05-22-2001, 09:10 AM

Most states don't want clear lenses or different colored bulbs on the brake lights for the reason that most drivers can not distinguish them from backing lights or even headlights.
Old 05-22-2001, 09:50 AM

Originally posted by AUTOBOT:

I do not believe that super whites would be probable cause enough to pull someone over because they come factory in some cars.

I have a friend who has a friend that is a cop and they told me the same thing. If the cop doesn't know what comes factory or not, they won't pull you over. That's anything like this. Besides, you can always lie and say it came factory on you car. eek.gif I doubt they are gonna drive to the nearest Hyundai dealer to find out!! wink.gif
Old 05-23-2001, 02:30 AM

ok here is the case with the clear corner/color bulb issue.

Since i work at a motorsport shop, and have talk to many many cops in So CAL area, here is what they have to say:

Tail signal-red or orange, and must blink no faster than so many times in a min.

Clear corners-According to all the cops i talk to, the legal issue with clear corners, vary from different cops and area. For example, in the CHP book, it is illegal. It must have 3" of orange reflector. but for all the other cop's book(depending on your area), it is legal as long as they have orange or clear(not hyper white) bulb for the front.

The best thing to do is to check with your local police department and highway partrol if u are worry about this thing...in some area like santa monica and alhambra, cops give ticket for not drivin with both hand on the wheel at 10 and 2 o'clock position wink.gif
Old 05-23-2001, 02:03 PM

With mods to the lights, most local, county, and state laws for vehicle safety are introduced and shaped by interest groups who represent the insurance companies. Back to what I said earlier about the lens and bulbs, if you are rear-ended and it goes down into the police report that your car was altered from regs; your insurance company can list you as fault for the accident even if the police state it as no-fault. Your rates will go up, you could lose coverage, and you will be held liable if sued. If you say what about factory-standard hardware, it has already been reviewed by the insurance companies since they need to know what came on your car or truck if they have to replace it under a claim. My dad works in the insurance industry, and one of his jobs covers vehicular risk management for companies who use commerical-use cars and trucks.
Old 05-23-2001, 11:58 PM

No offense, but some cops are smarter than you think. They collect lists of what cars come out from the factory w/ hyper-white bulbs. I got a list when I came out of the academy. I just don't mess with customs-that's my discretion. Probably, b/c I am one!
Old 05-23-2001, 11:59 PM

P.S.
There's a law in MD against anything custom you do with your car except changing the color of the paint.