External Appearance Modifications to the exterior of your car. Body Kits, Head lights/bulbs, tail lights/bulbs, spoilers, antennas, sidemarkers, etc.
View Poll Results: hmmm??
wait 6 months and repair and repaint the hood
33.33%
Fit the scoop and make it happen.
16.67%
Leave it, hoof prints look badass.
50.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Should I? Shouldnt I?

Old 05-10-2006, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1998 Tiburon

Sup homies.

I'm in a bit of a dilemna as to what to do here...

Ok, now I live in an appartment with my wife and it's expensive.. with the utilz it's around $1300 a month.

Trust us to pick this place.. anyways..

My tib has a small dent (a hoof print) above where my battery and CAI inlet is (the filter).

Now Im kinda at arms as to what to do about this.. obs the main option would be to get the entire hood fixed and painted but that's expensive, and given that my rent costs too much it's not an option.

So I've kinda been sizing up option 2, which with some work would cost me about $30.

Now, I have been looking at hood scoops (small ones) on egay and I have found one for about $18 shipped to me.

What I was thinking was centre it off to the side right above the CAI and then cut out the area of the hood with the hoofprint on it and fit the scoop there.

If it was for show I would never EVER do this but I have had a really good idea, see.

If I then get a large piece of flexi tube and slide it over the filter for the CAI and then make it so that it lines up directly under where this real* scoop would sit it might even give me some more performance and give me somewhere to mount the typhoon air thing I want.

This is obviously the cheap option as painting the hoodscoop white and fitting it to the hood would only require a couple of tinnies of spray paint and the scoop, so all in with the clear about $30 done and out the door.

Then fabbing this duct out of flex hose and filler would cost literally nothing (piece of tumble dryer hose and some bondo and brackets)

So, opinions please.

Poll added so you can choose.. what Ill do soon is get a pic of the scoop and photoshop it onto the hood where it would need to be, then I can create a visual of what it would look like smile.gif

*real. I dont consider scoops that dont do anything real, at least in this case it would be forcing air into the CAI.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:30 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

scoop, but leave the typhoon thing out. they dont work. search for "zefiro hood" on here and you might find a picture of exaclty what you are thinking of.

did you hit a reindeer?
Old 05-10-2006, 07:58 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

lets see a picture fo this hoofprint. I want to see it's location.

And yes, chris is right the typhoon thing is worse than buyer blinker fluid (which I plan on doing as a joke, just setting up some extra resevoir tanks that say blinker fluid and running SS hoses to each corner lamp lmao.gif ) They are a complete waste of money. No sense in buying one. If you do you will be owned.gif

But your hoop scoop idea is the easiest solution. You still have to pay for paint and such for the whole hood after you hack it up and moldd in the scoop. The original zefiro hood had a "scoop" in it. Rather a indent with an slit in it to allow airflow to enter the engine bay over the rd1's "sexy hump" on the hood. Look for pictures, it looks better than a scoop that stick up above your hood! wink1.gif Doubtful, you'll find one that can be molded in though.. 02.gif
Old 05-10-2006, 08:20 PM

why not wait, save up your dinero.. and go CF?

How did you get a hoof print on your hood anyway?
Old 05-10-2006, 08:36 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

I say save up for a cf hood. Hood scoops usually end up looking ricey. The CAI should be down low and the scoop wont even bring cool air to it.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:55 PM

I'd love to get a CF hood, infact I have wet dreams over them.

But, Im married, and, that means no CF hood.. well, CF hood no wife, there's no way in hell she would let me sink $400 + on something like that and we're getting a mortgage soon.

So typhoon thingers are out then, ok cool smile.gif thanks you saved me $50.

The hoof print came about last year in November... it was mating season and I had just fitted xenons and new brakes.. So my cousin and I were coming down a rural country route in Salem county (deep south of NJ) and we saw a deer run accross the road about 100ft ahead.

I slowed to a crawl and a huge male with a rack just stood there.

Put on the high beams and it seemed to piss him off somewhat, reered up and stomped on the hood.. cue reverse and driving backwards at full speed lol.

I checked with someone and apparently in mating season high beams are seen as a challenge by male deer, all that testosterone or something..

Next time I'll blow the horn, that works apparently..

So anyways, as for the scoop.

What I was thinking of doing was making a plastic duct that sits in shape with the hood when closed and then putting foam pipe wrap around the edges of it.. have you ever seen a plastic drainpipe inlet? it's a large square with a 4" pipe fitting on the bottom.

If I locate this where the old resonator used to sit and then put a 4" alu flexhose from a tumble drier (the ones that outlet the hot air to outside your house) and slide that over the CAI.. then all the air forcing through the scoop will be shot into the box and through the hose directly into the CAI.

Now, when out looking the dent is right on the curve at the front of the hood, so I would probably have to make my own scoop from fibreglass and then screed it with metal glaze (very runny bondo) to a shell then sand it.

I could construct it from cardboard and then shell it in glass fibre, then screed it.. so it'd be a one off.

I'll get a pic of the print, it's rather bizzare lol.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:14 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

leave the hood as is, if it's not bad and you can bear it, leave it. Spend that money on a CAI and you'll be happy enough to make up for your dented hood. CAI is 100 times better than ram air. I constantly go back and forth since I remove the CAI extension when i remove my front bumper for engine work.... you CAN tell a big difference
Old 05-10-2006, 10:45 PM

Haha Rudolph the p*ssed off reindeer owned.gif you. Anyway, back in my ancient days Id say attempt the hood scoop. Now however, just wait it off and replace the hood. I know what its like to have bills. Thats why I didnt drop a load of money into the paint I just had sprayed. You'll be happier in the end, especially if you got the Zefiro hood.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:34 AM

I already have a CAI.. what I want to do is forcefeed air into it laugh.gif

I actually had an idea earlier and it may work very well..

I used to mod PCs alot and I have had the idea to cut some 'evil eye' holes in each side of the hood symetrically and then frame the holes in with rubber.. then simply add some mesh or something like that so it serves loads of cold air over the engine..

Dunno, Im sure Ill come up with something creative I usually do laugh.gif

OK found a pic of the print whilst diggin through pics smile.gif It doesnt look that bad here, well tbh it's not *that* bad but Im super anal about things like this.

Old 05-11-2006, 06:33 AM

fill it and sand it out.. cheaper and better.