External Appearance Modifications to the exterior of your car. Body Kits, Head lights/bulbs, tail lights/bulbs, spoilers, antennas, sidemarkers, etc.

Should I prime whole car or just patches?

Old 10-11-2012, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 99 Tiburon FX
Default Should I prime whole car or just patches?

Hey guys, I'm currently about to respray my car a custom purple color, with a slight red ghost pearl, but I have a few questions about what I should do.

There is a few spots that have rubbed and are through to bare metal, should I sand these areas down to bare metal and prime just the areas, or sand them down and prime the whole car?

Another thought I had, was to just prime these areas, and then use a white basecoat before putting down my new purple. Theoretically the white will make the purple "pop" a lot better than dark color will, and will ensure a color match. Would this be ok?

I figure using white basecoat rather than primer will make it heaps easier to paint and sand.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:09 PM

Vehicle: 1999/hyundai/tiburon

Yes sand down the areas that are bare metal and primer just those areas. And make sure to prep the car with 400 grit sandpaper before you spray your white basecoat. Just make sure you have a nice clean surface to spray down your first basecoat.

Plus, theres no need to primer whole car! As for the bare metal areas make sure to feather them out before you primer them. If you dont know how to feather bare metal areas there are plenty of how to videos on youtube.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:31 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

If it were me, I would sand the whole car down and apply fresh primer on the whole thing.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:46 PM

Vehicle: 97 tiburon

prime just the areas, sand with 600 then seal before paint

jack
Old 11-12-2012, 07:47 PM

Vehicle: 97 tiburon