External Appearance Modifications to the exterior of your car. Body Kits, Head lights/bulbs, tail lights/bulbs, spoilers, antennas, sidemarkers, etc.

Q about HID and New Bulbs

Old 05-19-2004, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

k i searched and didnt find too much on these...(2000 Tib)

1)What are HID's ?(pics plz)
2)Where Can You Get Them?
3)How much are they?
4)I Saw On Another Post Links For New Bulbs But They Were All For The Blue Ones, Have Any That Are Just Bright White?(links would be best)
5)And Some Pics Of The Turbulence Side Skirts(this guy i saw one day has a set he wants to sell but i cant seem to find a pic(...i also didnt wanna start a new topic for this last one,all i want is a pic))
Old 05-19-2004, 03:01 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

HID = High Intensity Discharge
They are the type of headlights that come in BMW's, Mercedes, Infiniti's, etc. that have the purplish glow. They put out a brighter light allowing you to see better.
They use a ballast to generate their energy, and the bulbs are usually bigger. Could cost you around $400 for a set, including ballasts.
I believe 5100k (Kelvin Degree scale) is as white and bright as you can get. When you start getting towards 6000k+ it turns bluish, then around 7500k+ it turns kinda purplish, but the best visible and white light would be about 5100k... the more color it has, the less it reflects off the road, so for driving purposes, get 5100k. If you want the colorish look, go a little higher, to around 6000k or so

http://www.hidkits.com/faqs.htm
Old 05-19-2004, 03:28 PM

Default CONTACT info for lawsuit??

just a little background info... 7500k is a tempeture.. in the kelvin scale. 0 kelvin is absolute zero and theoretically impossible.. EVERYTHING freezes, including the motion of electrons in atoms.

Anyway.. to get the temp in K it is assumed you have a black body... at the tempture of 5100k it will glow a bright white... going more and more towards the ultraviolet the "hotter" it gets.. hence the shift towards purple.

Also, another benefit of HIDs... when running they might only draw about 35watts of power as compared to the 55 or more you stock lights draw... though they will draw more on "light off"
Old 05-20-2004, 09:07 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

a question ive had...do the true hid kits get hotter than normal bulbs?
Old 05-20-2004, 10:22 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I want to clarify....
HID bulbs and ballasts kits usually cost a few hundred dollars. The stuff you buy at AutoZone, Advance Auto Parts, O'Reily Auto parts, Pep Boys, etc. THEY ARE NOT HID BULBS. They are imitation. They don't last very long and usually have a colorish tint to them.

Another benefit of HID bulbs is their life cycle. I forget the actual statistics, so I'll use the following numbers to explain my point:
If normal bulbs have a life cycle of 200hours, HID bulbs have a life cycle of 1500 hours.
I forget what the #'s actually are, but HID lasts about 5-6 times longer than regular H7 bulbs. I have figured it out one time, and it would take an entire year, running my headlights on for 12 hours a day before they'd burn out (who has their headlights on 12 hours a day? Who drives 12 hours a day? Anyways, it'd take an entire year to burn out.
You are able to buy the bulbs separately.
Old 05-20-2004, 04:22 PM

any pics of of the turbulence side skirts yet?...and and links toget cheap h7 bulbs that are bright white
Old 05-20-2004, 04:47 PM

Mine are 6000k, and have a very slight blueish tint. I absolutely love how they look. They are supposed to last 3000 hours. And I don't believe they get as hot as the stock bulbs, but granted Ive never actually touched them or put my hand near them while they were on. I definetly recommend HIDs because well I went through soooo many bulbs and finally I got fed up and installed the HID kit and haven't had to replace a bulb since. Its awesome.