External Appearance Modifications to the exterior of your car. Body Kits, Head lights/bulbs, tail lights/bulbs, spoilers, antennas, sidemarkers, etc.

Piaa Deno Style Led Driving Lights

Old 05-15-2005, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! remeber me ? tongue.gif

That's my new post since...mmm don't remeber the last time was reallt too far wink1.gif

So, to avoid the same old problem of burned bulb, since here you must drive with lights on even during the day, i was looking for somethign like .. driving lights etc..

Looking in the web, PIAA (Jap. division for first) released some new led driving light calle "DENO".. model with 6 and 12 white (or blu) lights... but the price and the shipping in Italy was too high, so i put this project apart for a while...

Last month, while looking on ebay, i found the *same* led lights copy made in china.. the price was interesting so i decided to buy them:

Here they are:

they are on Plastic chromed/polished shell with 6 high flux white led each, the weight is not relevant, 15US$ with ORDINARY mail from USA to Italy, i was shocked because it tooks only 6 days to arrive... the fastest shipment ever!! not even a *well payed* courier is so quick!! ...

anyway, look when they are "on"

B) ..nice clear white, reallly.. they match well with H.I.D kit or similar.. with white led wedge bulb too...

so.. starting with the same DIY tools, i started to mount them

notice: better always put a fuse everywhere (in the +12v) to avoid any kind of possible shorts or so.. safety is never enough wink1.gif

i used the 12v from the drivers position lights..

i don't know if this is a nice solution, but i wanted to turn them on always starting from the parking lights..

ok... then i did a quick test to see if everything was connected in the right way:

tongue.gif nice!! 2 o'clock in a very sunny afterneoon, as you see, i'm a little in the shadow but they do their job... be seen quick without disturbing...

now, for let you see the same afternoon but in the shadow how they looks like
(see the difference between common halogen position light e the new leds light)

and this one, a better close up (i like this pic!! it makes justice!! those led are awesome!!)

try to imagine while dricing at night B)

from the hood inside my garage.. even the camera this time works for the colour difference between position lights and those one:

ok.. now opinions are welcome smile.gif

@moderators: i was guessing to put this post in the DIY but.. i didn't made the lights by my self.. so fell free to move this post wherever you think

next incoming news (i'll open new threads):
1) new led position light with 1 superflux (square) white led on the front and 4 3mm white ones radially mounted... we will see if they worth the money or not (look on ebay for matrix wedgw bulb or something . i didn't have pics right now..
2) ah-ah the DEFINITIVE led bulb replacement...look! this is not the common 1157 bulb replacement:

i'm still waiting for these bulbs on these days and they seems a really good upgrade: 18 superflux red led (a lot more powerful the the normal high flux) 15 radially mounted, and 3 on the top.. with those one, you should be able to fill your tail with enough light. you should avoid problem about directional light light the common led bulb... stay tuned.. i'll take picture in the right moment wink1.gif

CIAO!
Old 05-15-2005, 09:08 AM

That looks very sharp!! Your car looks good too. Looks like you've done some work to the front bumper cover...very nice. Why don't you enter COTM May? It's running right now under the improtant news section in General Showroom
Old 05-15-2005, 09:49 AM

Wow. First aftermarket fogs that I like.

Could you please show how they shine to the ground?
Old 05-15-2005, 10:31 AM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

That looks nice.

Lets see some night pics.
Old 05-15-2005, 11:44 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL

How much did those run you?? This might be a good thing to use for interior lighting as well cause they look so cool IMO. Even as brake lights or corner markers too.
Old 05-15-2005, 12:17 PM

imo those are very nice. but gotta see at night.
Old 05-15-2005, 01:17 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

yeah, first aftermarket fog lights ive ever seen installed that i can say are not ugly, i actually kinda like em. nice.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:26 PM

well... i decided for those ones because:

1) leds lights do not drain so much watts as halogens... they take all the good of the led tecnology.. as always happens when you use leds instead of halogens wink1.gif

2) in this case, if you want to turn them Off, then they are completely invisible and they rest well hidden under the bumper ninja.gif
BTW: there is no DOT/SAE mark .. figure out the ECE mark!! ..anyway i don't know if really needed but... i'm not sure if the original PIAA Deno ones are...

3) if needed, when you run with the lowbeam during the night they are as noticeable as a common position light... nothing more.. just more "sharper" of course smile.gif .. but my HID kit is so much bright that you don't care so much about them...

3) used in this way, as DRIVING lights (and not as fog lights) they match perfectly the goal ... be seen (during the daylight driving) from the others on the street faster than before.. without glare or something like this .. avoiding keeping your lowbeams always on and burn a bulb more frequently... that's all..

as you can guess, these lights do not even touch the ground but as i said, my goal was: be noticed during daylight running... and it seems to work good:

p.s. after an entire day of heavy rain, i noticed a very little "infiltration" of humidity in one of them... but everything disappear so faster i think i won't be a problem.. that's the only price when you decide to buy chinese goods instead of original goods
from the beginnings i was looking for the original PIAA Deno, but in Italy we only import halogens bulbs and led wedge bulb.. 02.gif
Old 05-16-2005, 08:06 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Those are pretty cool, can you show us the auction you won them on?

I want to look at them a bit... Got some ideas.

As for LED bulbs, be careful, if you replace your BREAK LIGHTS WITH LED'S, you will lose your Cruise Control. Using one of those LED resistor load packs might solve the problem, but that's untested.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:45 AM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

Hyde, post up the info where we can get them? Are they being sold by a US seller, or do we have to order from China? Very nice find, thanks for sharing.