External Appearance Modifications to the exterior of your car. Body Kits, Head lights/bulbs, tail lights/bulbs, spoilers, antennas, sidemarkers, etc.

Painting wiper blades and arms...

Old 12-14-2002, 07:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting wiper blades and arms...

I just got back from Canadian Tire, bought myself a 131 piece tool set, some new double bladed wipers, and a can of Hyundai Matching paint {silver} and a clear coat finish.
I took my wiper arms off the car; a lot easier than I expected it to be. Now I'm in the midst of putting about 4 coats of silver on the arms and blade holders. Waiting for the first coat to dry as I type.
I was going to paint them blue, since I'll be painting my drums/calipers blue in the spring, the only problem is that for the brakes I have to use a 'high heat' paint, and its hard to match up with regular paint... I didn't want it to end up clashing.
Maybe I'll take some pictures tomorrow, get them converted to digital images and post them up here for you guys.
Take it easy.
Time for coat #2.
Old 12-14-2002, 08:02 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Cool that you decided to paint the wiper arms the same color as the body. I personally think that looks really tacky when people paint their mirrors, or wiper arms, or other little body parts a different color other than the car. The only exception to this however, are the brake calipers like what you plan on doing. Anyway, good luck with it. wink
Old 12-14-2002, 08:44 AM

Thanks man...
So far so good. The application has gone well so far. One more coat, then a couple clear coats.

I know what you mean about tacky. I think almost any modification should look like its a factory option. Even a well designed body kit that suits the car very well, can look like its a natural extension of the existing design.
Old 12-14-2002, 03:01 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

ELANTRAVISION:
I just got back from Canadian Tire, bought myself a 131 piece tool set, some new double bladed wipers, and a can of Hyundai Matching paint {silver} and a clear coat finish.
I took my wiper arms off the car; a lot easier than I expected it to be. Now I'm in the midst of putting about 4 coats of silver on the arms and blade holders. Waiting for the first coat to dry as I type.
I was going to paint them blue, since I'll be painting my drums/calipers blue in the spring, the only problem is that for the brakes I have to use a 'high heat' paint, and its hard to match up with regular paint... I didn't want it to end up clashing.
Maybe I'll take some pictures tomorrow, get them converted to digital images and post them up here for you guys.
Take it easy.
Time for coat #2.
Hmm... See I've got a black 2001 and I'm doing all my accents in Silver and Blue. My Calipers are gonna be blue and you were just makin me think about doing the wiper arms blue also. I'm using the Metalcast anodized paint. It's high heat and looks GREAT. I've used it in the engine bay in several places.

As for tacky? Yeah, I guess it would be. I prolly won't do it now but you know how it goes.

Rice allways looks good at first, but some if it tastes nastay!

LOL
wink

Here's a couple of older pics of my engine bay before I got the blue hose installed...

That blue is awesome.

[ December 14, 2002, 11:26 PM: Message edited by: REDZMAN ]
Old 12-15-2002, 12:10 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

My tiburon is red, I painted the mirrors, wipers and wiper arms white. Alot of people just dont understand but the ones that do, LOVE it.
Old 12-15-2002, 06:13 AM

i dont understand
Old 12-15-2002, 07:27 AM

tibby01:
My tiburon is red, I painted the mirrors, wipers and wiper arms white. Alot of people just dont understand but the ones that do, LOVE it.
sad.gif sad.gif frown
Old 12-15-2002, 07:43 AM

EDIT: I should be posting pics up sometime tomorrow.

I think what it boils down to is how well the colour one chooses reflects on the overall appearance of the car.
For instance, there is a mid 90's Accord I see around town here once and a while, its a dark forest green, and he decides to paint his wiper arms/blades bright yellow? I like yellow it just didn't do the trick. With a green like that, a dark silver would look awesome, or even a toned down gold...
For my girlfriend's BLACK ZX2 I plan on painting hers Ford's yellow {used on Mustang}. But any colour will look good with black, as long as its not over done. I'll paint her calipers and drums yellow in the spring, she already has 'Elegant' yellow and black seat covers.

[ December 15, 2002, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: ELANTRAVISION ]
Old 12-15-2002, 07:51 AM

Vehicle: 2005 MINI Cooper S

tibby01:

You got a Where's Waldo car man... needless to say, I don't understand.

I imagine if you painted it the same exact color as the car it might not look as poor as a different color or a crome one. I think the black color works well though.
Old 12-15-2002, 09:10 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

White and red go well together, it might look good if his rims were white too.

Anyways, what would you guyz think if I did my wiper arms with the same blue I did in the engine on the spark plug wire cover?

I ain't paintin my mirrors though.