External Appearance Modifications to the exterior of your car. Body Kits, Head lights/bulbs, tail lights/bulbs, spoilers, antennas, sidemarkers, etc.

Painting Carbon Fiber

Old 06-16-2001, 07:14 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T
Default Painting Carbon Fiber

Zup! I'm thinking about getting a carbon fiber hood for my ride, but I think the black CF would stand way too much out on the car. So, I'm thinking about painting it when I do my Chameleon paintjob. I'm just wondering how it's gonna look. Does anyone have any pics of what Carbon Fiber looks like when it's painted? I'm curious to see how much different it looks. Also, for the peeps that DO have the CF hoods, is the under side of the hood identical to the factory hoods? The reason why I ask is because I have under hood mirrors on the underside of the hood, and I would like to transfer them to the CF hood. Thanx for any info you can give. I did a search, but didn't find any answers to my questions. Thanx!
Old 06-16-2001, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmmm I am realy not sure how you would go about painting carbon fiber. It is the same properties as fiberglass just with a differet look and weight to be honest. So I would say it would look no different than fiberglass painted. Same process in the creation, but it is the material. Hope that helps at all
Old 06-16-2001, 08:55 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Ther main reason why I wanted to know how it looks is because I was wondering if when you paint CF, does the cross thatch design still show. I spoke with Long about it, and he said you lose the cross thatch look when you paint over CF. So I guess it's not want I want at this time. On to something else... rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif
Old 06-17-2001, 01:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea the cross hatch design is only a looks thing you cannot feel it because there is a resin on teh carbon fiber sss
Old 06-17-2001, 04:34 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Everytime I've seen Decent CF, the Cross-Hatch pattern is covered by layers of Gelcoat/clearcoat.

So you should be able to scuff/sand the clear coat and paint it.