External Appearance Modifications to the exterior of your car. Body Kits, Head lights/bulbs, tail lights/bulbs, spoilers, antennas, sidemarkers, etc.

Paint Job???

Old 12-26-2001, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint Job???

I am trying to think of some creative ideas of places to paint on my car. I dont want much black showing on the outside of my car so I want to paint most if not all of the black!!!

A couple of things I am not sure is possible to paint. First is the trimming that goes around the windows. Second is the fender wells for whatever it is called??? Now I know 2KLow&Show is doing something to his. I was wondering if it is getting painted, and how, or being done by another method???
Old 12-27-2001, 11:35 AM

you can paint the moldings on the windows but i wouldnt. later it could chip and look really nasty. ive seen it done a couple of times. as far as teh splash guards in the fenders. you can paint em too if you want but it'll always be dirty.
Old 12-27-2001, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Originally posted by cklawon:
A couple of things I am not sure is possible to paint. First is the trimming that goes around the windows. Second is the fender wells for whatever it is called??? Now I know 2KLow&Show is doing something to his. I was wondering if it is getting painted, and how, or being done by another method???

Like Long said...you can paint the plastic and rubber moldings, but you take a very large chance of it chipping. Especially the rubber. If you do decide to do it, then make sure you use a VERY high quality plastic/rubber/bumper primer. That will hold off the paint for a little while from chipping off.

As far as doing your fenderwells, do you mean the underside of them, or the inner part inside the engine bay? The outer part of my fenderwells (what's left anyway) still have the black undercoating on it. The inside part, I'm airbrushing a checkerboard design on. Although now that I think about it, painting the exterior of the fenderwells is a cool idea, but it would be a pain because you would have to sand off all the undercoating, and once you get it all painted, it would get extremely dirty very quickly. So unless you have a full show car that you don't drive daily, I wouldn't paint the outside of the fenderwells.

Good luck with it! wink.gif

[ December 27, 2001: Message edited by: 2000Lo&ShowTibby ]
Old 12-27-2001, 01:54 PM

You two make great points about the two spots. And now that I think about it I dont think I will be doing it. Thanks though.