External Appearance Modifications to the exterior of your car. Body Kits, Head lights/bulbs, tail lights/bulbs, spoilers, antennas, sidemarkers, etc.

Paint Job

Old 07-04-2006, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey

My girlfriend wants to get her car repainted. The car is about 17 years old , so we won't invest too much money , so we figured we're gonna do it ourselves.
Are there any tips you guys could give us ? I bet someone here has got a whole lot of experience in this departement.
Any help is welcome.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:13 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

for a 17 year old car it's definitely not worth getting a shop to paint the car professionally. what kind of car is it? if you're going to do it yourself do a lot of reading! buy a book or something with pictures. i have a whole book on how to paint cars.

if you don't want to spend money and save time, you might as well get it done. if you want the same color it'll be anywhere from $500-$600 for a basic spray and gloss. I think it'll cost you more for them to sand it down and primer it but if you do spend close to $1000 you know their paint will stay on for long.

if you're doing it yourself, go to the book store. they have a whole section on painting cars. pick up a book you like and follow the instructions. you can buy paint online. one example is "House of Kolor" which most hot rodders and donestic muscle tuners use. you can also buy paint from online. there's a paint place up the street from me which is said to have everything you would need for painting, except i'd just rather spend a few hundred more and have some professionals have at it than to do an unskilled job.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:23 PM

Its an Opel Kadett GSI. Here is a picture of it. The car is still in pretty good shape , considering its 17 years old. But its too old to go to a paint shop and spend a small fortune on it.

She wants to get the bottom of the car (bumbers and most of the doors and fenders) painted blue , and keep the white on the top.

I'm dooing a few internet searches. Found some usefull help here. I'll go to the book store like you suggested.
Oh yeah , me and my friends also have a cross-car. An old wreck we use to race on my grandparents fields. Its the same car as my girlfriends , only its the sedan-version lmao.gif . we'll try it out on this car first.

Forgot something.

The car is now white. Could I paint over the white ? Or do I have to sand it all off and put a new primer on ?
Old 07-05-2006, 01:33 PM

Check this page out on how to do $50 paint jobs, I knew a few people that did it and it turned out good!!!
http://forums.club4ag.com/topic.asp?whichp...TOPIC_ID=133867
Old 07-06-2006, 08:01 PM

Is there any rust? Anywhere where the paint is missing (bare metal, large stone chips, where the clear is peeling) <- Any of these and you have to prime your car. If not (BIG IF) than you could paint over the old paint, but not really the best idea. Post some close ups of her car and I can help you further. Just so you know painting your car is neither easy or cheap if you want it to look right.