External Appearance Modifications to the exterior of your car. Body Kits, Head lights/bulbs, tail lights/bulbs, spoilers, antennas, sidemarkers, etc.

Paint Altezzas?

Old 12-16-2003, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a picture on SharkRacing of this tail light for the 2003...

... I like this look and would like to do something like this for my 2001 Tib. Do you think that if I got some clear taillights off of Ebay that I could take them apart, paint them silver, and get them back together? Plus I'm not sure if it would even look that good. Opinions please!!

(Here is the chrome taillight for the 2001)
Old 12-16-2003, 07:26 PM

painted the same colour as your tib? I think it would look a LOT better than the chromed.
Old 12-16-2003, 07:46 PM

i've thought of doing this for a long time, but haven't due to the cost of the tails for this experiment. one mess up, and there goes $120...
if they're anything like the oem corner light housing, the glue is very rigid (unlike the headlight housing). when i tried to make my own clear corners with an extra corner i had, it cracked the lens top to bottom (i'm glad it was a spare). if you decide to do it, keep us updated, and silver is the color i was gonna do too, so i'm quite curious to see the outcome.
Old 12-16-2003, 08:09 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

You could probably do it. The lenses aren't sealed very well on the Altezza lights. I didn't paint the inside of mine, but i painted around the perimeter of the taillight. I did this because I had to reseal the lens because of water leaking in, and it looked like crap because you could see the silicone around the edge of the lens. So i painted the perimeter black to match the car. Looks much better, and they are the black chrome Altezzas to begin with. Make a long story short, I think it could be done, just time consuming.
Old 12-16-2003, 10:12 PM

What if I did this and then just didn't put the plastic back on it? Are the lenses not waterproof? I think it would be a very interesting look to not have the outer shell
Old 12-17-2003, 05:08 AM

there was an orange civic hatchback that left the lens off his painted altezzas, it didn't look half bad, but he did a crappy job of painting them. he only had them on for about 2-3 months, then his stock lights went back in... i don't know why, but for some reason, he took them out.
Old 12-17-2003, 09:02 AM

I wish I could get some super cheap lights somewhere... $100 is a lot for a project so easily screwed up
Old 12-17-2003, 11:28 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

I think those top lenses are the new "3D" altezzas from APC. They make lenses for the 2nd gens, maybe they have some in development.
Old 12-17-2003, 01:51 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ
Default blue guages

This person is selling altezza's for $80. Try to take the price down a bit if you can, and find out what style of altezza's before you buy. I'd use 'em as a back-up and try to work on yours for the project. I've been trying to decide whether I should spray a kandy on my tails, or paint the chrome white to match the car.
http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?name=PN...viewtopic&t=707