External Appearance Modifications to the exterior of your car. Body Kits, Head lights/bulbs, tail lights/bulbs, spoilers, antennas, sidemarkers, etc.

Need Some Shark Wing Install Help

Old 09-09-2008, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Fx Coupe

Hey!

I recently got my hands on a second hand OEM 2-pillar Shark wing for my first gen (I'd bought a 2-pillar knock off ages ago but never got around to installing it: it looked ok but the middle wing part was a bit longer than the stock one & so none of the stock holes were covered by the new wing. Didn't have the time, desire or money to mess around with filling holes in the boot at the time).

Anyhoo, I decided to install it last night so as to make sure it all fits before having it painted. Everything lined up ok but when the time came to actually bolt it on, I found that I wasn't able to secure 2 out of the 3 bolts on each pillar. The back bolts were fine & slot nicely into the existing holes from the stock wing but the longer ones (about 2.5 inches long) only have about half an inch of thread on the very ends; the rest of the bolt being smooth/threadless.

I got the wing from a junkyard in Melbourne though ebay & didn't expect to have all the original nuts & bolts but the wing is currently only held on with one bolt out of 3 on each side. Are spacers or special nuts with sleeves required?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:41 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

I've got both the 2 pillar and 3 pillar shark wings. I will look and see what they have for hardware.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:13 PM

Cheers mate. I'm thinking that some sleeves & a couple of washers should do the trick though.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:48 PM

All good: the sleeve & washer thing seems to be doing the trick.

I just need to get the thing painted while the car is in the shop (getting some front- & rear-end damage fixed) & do something about plugging the central holes in the boot lid it should look sweet.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:19 PM

Looks great! My two pillar shark wing doesn't have the brake light integrated.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:57 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Kawasaki ZX6R

People like to pull the spoiler and close the hatch by the spoiler too much for me to trust a 2 leg spoiler. Looks really good though.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:34 AM

There are usually only two people opening and closing my hatches, my wife and myself. Never had a problem with either of us wanting to close it with the spoiler.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:09 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

QUOTE (dddude55 @ Sep 13 2008, 12:57 AM)
People like to pull the spoiler and close the hatch by the spoiler too much for me to trust a 2 leg spoiler. Looks really good though.

I don't let anyone touch my trunk, unless I ask them to.

Spoiler looks awesome. I love the shark spoiler. I have it on my RD2....but it looks so much nicer on the RD1
Old 09-16-2008, 09:08 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Car looks great. It looks like you need a really good cleaning and buffing.

But what do they do at this store? \/
Old 09-16-2008, 11:51 PM

Lol @ DTN. It's a charcoal chicken/takeaway food place. Not sure why it's called "Lashings". Presumably because their food has 'lashings of flavour' all over it...

A Toyota Landcruiser reversed into my car's front-end while it was parked a few months back. Insurance has paid up but my shop was too busy to fix it at the time... as was I.

Then, about a month ago, a girl went into the back of me while I was stopped at a set of lights. Still waiting for that to get sorted out. Suffice to say, I've not really thought it necessary to wash the car, given the sorry state it's in anyway.

I will take this opportunity to get the 4-1 extractors, Col's lightweight crank pulley & a few other bits & pieces installed. I've just been too busy... & probably a bit too lazy as well 02.gif

Next on the agenda (after all of that) will be a new set of rims... these ones: