External Appearance Modifications to the exterior of your car. Body Kits, Head lights/bulbs, tail lights/bulbs, spoilers, antennas, sidemarkers, etc.

The more I think about it the more I want to do a vinyl wrap

Old 04-25-2012, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 06 Tiburon
Default The more I think about it the more I want to do a vinyl wrap

I broke down the costs of it all and vinyl wrapping is looking better and better

New paint job

- $3000-5000

- 10-15 days without the car

- No waxing or polishing for 3 months

- No protection against rock chips and road rash

Vinyl wrap

- $1200-1600

- 3-4 days without car

- Can wash, wax, and polish within 48 hours

- Dont like it, can remove it within a day

- Protection against road rash and chips in front bumper

So I think Im gonna go this route. Does anybody have any reasons why a full paint job is better than a vinyl wrap? So far all the pros are in favor of wraps.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

depending on what you are going for as far as finish.. no vinyl will ever look as glossy and pretty as a paint job..

if you are going for more of a matte/flat look than glossy will look pretty good.

why would you ever wax vinyl? and how is the inability to wax a fresh paint job for 3 months really a con? you wouldn't polish vinyl either o.O

if you don't like a vinyl job and remove it, you just wasted 1200-1600$ and have to spend a ton of time cleaning up the car and waxing to get the finish back..

vinyl jobs can have air bubbles, shrink in the sun, crack, split.. peel. etc. a good paint job wont have those issues..

the only real cons to a paint job that I see is the time without your car and the cost.

You can get a pretty good paint job done for 3000$ or even 2500$.. sometimes less. I knew people and had mine done for 1600$ cash, including a body kit install and fitment..

I would never spend 1000+ to have my car wrapped in vinyl unless it was for business/commercial purposes or had really complex designs that would cost way to much to have done in paint.

EDIT: you can get much higher quality vinyl also and have more experienced places to the install but you will easily run up into the paint range. at that point I see zero reason to get a 1-2 color vinyl job over paint..