External Appearance Modifications to the exterior of your car. Body Kits, Head lights/bulbs, tail lights/bulbs, spoilers, antennas, sidemarkers, etc.

Maaco

Old 09-13-2007, 11:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: car

So, my car needs paint rather bad in my opinion. From what I've heard, if I do the bondo/sand, etc, then their job doesn't turn out THAT bad. Has anyone dealt with maaco before? I think I am going to do their "Presidential" paint job, comes with a 2 year warranty, and its only like $450. Can you bring your own paint to them? I'd like to get it done in PPG.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:21 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

I've heard maaco does the worst paint jobs ever from this forum. i've heard from ase certified mechanics that they to the job you pay them for meaning you give them $450 they'll do a job for $450... my friend got his mustang done at maaco and they completely f-cked his car up. i'm talking simple things like air bubbles coming out of the clear coat. if you're going to spend your money on paint spend at least $1200 and get the job done right so it can last another 15-20 years.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:24 PM

NOOO dont do it. I looked at my car closely when I was doing my bodywork and found so many flaws. Not worth it.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:45 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Kawasaki ZX6R

Like mentioned above, you get what you pay for. There is a reason maaco is so cheap. Unless you get the exact same color that you have you will open the door or hood and see the preivous color.

You would have better luck with a paint brush in your garage...
Old 09-13-2007, 11:57 PM

Vehicle: car

I plan on doing the body work myself, and having it sprayed by them. I'm willing to spend more than 500 obviously, but I def don't want to spend bank on paint. What is the point of spending more on paint than what I've paid for the car? 2000$ would even be fine, but it's like you go from 400 to 4000. there is no inbetween it seems...
Old 09-14-2007, 12:44 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

It all depends on what you are looking for man. I have had 2 Maaco paint jobs in the past. I have been happy with both. Now, you have to realize that the folks on here telling you to NOT get a Maaco job are giving you an honest and true opinion. If you want a show quality paint job thats as good or better than the factory, then you better save up your money. Maaco IS NOT going to be worth it. But, if you are in a bind, need some color on your car fast, then Maaco is a quick and cheap fix. You can have them mix up some extra paint for you on request, then go to a paint shop and have them put it in a rattle can so you can finish spraying under your hood, door and hachback jams. You can also use an airbrush if you have one and do it yourself.

One thing to keep in mind. If you ever plan on doing a quality paint job AFTER the Maaco job, better plan on bringing the car down to the original color or to metal to get rid of the cheap paint they put on it.

the reason most paint jobs are so expensive is because there is a TON of work that is involved. Also, the paint alone can run up to 5-8 hundered dollars depending on what kind of paint you use. So, when Maaco gives you a paint job for 550 or whatever, be aware that you are getting cheap labor and cheap paint.

With that said, I will probably get a Maaco job done on my truck (1986 nissan) so the body stays in good shape and doesnt start to rust. Its more in need of getting paint on the body to help prevent rust and corrosion. Its mostly a camping, work, and hunting truck, so a show room shine is not on my list of priorities for it. My Tib on the other hand, will either be done professionally by a reputable shop in Denver, or I will do the work myself.

I think you would be happy with the job. Just know that you will be getting a quick, CHEAP, paint job. get their best package, at least you will have like a 4 year warranty or so.

dddude55: Where there is a will there is a way. I had an old honda prelude I used for a work car while I was in Graduate School. I used it for a long time. Bought it for 300.00! Sold it for 600.00!!! Looked like shit when I first got it! So, I went to Walmart, and after getting harassed by the manager, they finally let me place an order for 10 cans of primer and 15 cans of spray paint (must have thought I was going to sniff it or have some fun on the overpasses!) and I painted the car myself! Here are the before and afters:

Before:

After:

Here is a guy who claims a 50 paint job! Not sure i would do it, but there are plenty of people who have!

50 dollar paint job
Old 09-14-2007, 06:04 AM

the $50 paint job proves that it is the details that make a paint job shine.

My Local Maaco has received awards for some of their show car work.. but you PAY for that kind of paint
Old 09-14-2007, 07:56 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

^^Very true. They CAN do a good job, but most people go there to get the cheap jobs advertised on TV.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:10 AM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon

Labor is the most expensive part when it come to painting...

What you can do is go to save some money is to do some of the labor yourself like the prep, masking, R&I (remove and install) and things like that so all that they have to mostly do is actually just laying the paint down. Talk to your local shops and see what they can do for you, but just think hard before going maaco
Old 09-14-2007, 08:24 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

Maaco gets the car, spray it, then you take it home. there's no wet sanding before, no buffing afterwards.

If you want to do the work yourself, and don't care what the paint looks like 4 or 5 years from now, go Maaco. If you want your paint to look only decent from a distance, don't care about a few chips in the front bumper, and you're fine with it possibly looking worse AFTER the paint job than before... go to maaco.

You get what you pay for. People spend a few hundred bucks on detailing the car, getting swirls out of the paint, buffing it nicely, etc.

Look around... almost anybody spraying out of their garage is better than Maaco