External Appearance Modifications to the exterior of your car. Body Kits, Head lights/bulbs, tail lights/bulbs, spoilers, antennas, sidemarkers, etc.

Legality of license plate stickers

Old 09-12-2012, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 99 tiburon fx
Default Legality of license plate stickers

Ive seen some cars online that have license plate stickers on the front of their car instead of regular metal plates. Are these legal or not? Technically, you have your plate numbers and state visible, but is there a law saying it has to be metal plates from the actual DMV somewhere?

Example: http://www.jayracing.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=264

These replica Ohio license plate stickers are just like the real thing. Same colors and even reflective white. These are custom made to match your rear license plate. This the solution for $125 "failure to display front license plate" tickets on vehicles where it is not feasible to drill holes or mount ugly brackets to the front bumper.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

The place to ask this question is your local department of motor vehicles office. Google knows their phone number.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:37 PM

Vehicle: 1997/Hyundai/Tiburon

I agree with Stocker. Every states has a different set of codes. Some states with front plates require them on the front bumper others don't care if they are in the windshield. Call you local DMV. You can also make or purchase a bracket that attaches underneath the car.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:37 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

I will go out on a limb and say this is not legal. It will probably trick a cop as you drive past at speed, but this is not your issued license plate, therefore not a legal replacement.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know if I am wrong, because I would LOVE to remove my front plate, I freakin hate that thing!!
Old 09-13-2012, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

The answer in NJ is different from the answer in VT. Call your DMV also if you really want the correct answer!