External Appearance Modifications to the exterior of your car. Body Kits, Head lights/bulbs, tail lights/bulbs, spoilers, antennas, sidemarkers, etc.

isn't neon illegal?

Old 02-26-2002, 03:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

in north carolina its weird u are allowed 2 have ground glow which means you have neons on your car. but you cant have the neon tubes showing{it looks like ass if they do anyways}.so this means u or someone have 2 install them up high enough so u cant see them. dont worry sounds weird 2 me 2 nc is a fuct up state. plus blue and red neons will get you pulled in a heartbeat. i ride with my white ground glo on and never get pulled(knock on wood)
Old 02-26-2002, 04:00 AM

what about in california? i am told they are illegal but no one can give me a definite about it. i have purple lights under my seats and white for the wipers.
Old 02-26-2002, 05:20 AM

I got a ticket for blue neons on my plates but I also had the blue neon wiper lights on and he didn't say boo about those.
Old 02-26-2002, 05:53 PM

I got a written warning for my first neons. I have them on the very back of the hatch cover. They are the sound activated lightning rods (3) and they reflect off the rear window and look like 6. I got pulled over for failing to signal and got the warning for the neons and then got arrested for a warrant.

The cop never told me why my neons were illegal and the warning says absolutely nothing but "warning".
Old 02-26-2002, 06:08 PM

Originally posted by Tobi The Toboggan:
in north carolina its weird u are allowed 2 have ground glow which means you have neons on your car. but you cant have the neon tubes showing{it looks like ass if they do anyways}.so this means u or someone have 2 install them up high enough so u cant see them.

Same damn thing in Oregon, from the 2 cops I have talked to... I learned this from when I was pulled over due to a black light that I had on my driver's side sun visor.
Old 02-27-2002, 11:45 AM

i dont know about texas but in maryland lights on your car cant be above 48 inches high and rear lights are to be red front lights are to be white so you could tecnicly do a mix of colors in maryland but check your laws there first
Old 02-27-2002, 12:46 PM

I know in michigan all neon is illegal or so i have been told by cops....also the reason that any blue or red light in this state is illegal is because michigan undercover cops have red or blue lights on there cars to identify them.
Old 02-28-2002, 08:33 AM

i have windshiedl wiper jet LED's that are blue and a 10" blue neon tube under my grill, and ive been pulled over 3 times for it, the cop says that blue is reserved for volunteer fire department and emergency personel only, im in the USMC reserves so i just show em my military ID and they were cool with it but i know not everyone has one of those, all i can say is as staed earlier, check the local laws,talk to some cops or join the Marine Corps!! eek.gif
Old 03-01-2002, 01:49 AM

I talked to my traffic lawyer bout neon lights and he told me that they are legal as long as they dont affect your headlights or taillights. But different cops have different opinions on what affects head and tail lights.

I get my underglow kit installed in 3 weeks. I guess Ill find out then if I get hastled by cops for em. If I do get a ticket I will fight it for sure though.

Well thats the law in Ontario. Dont know how it is in the states.
Old 03-02-2002, 02:14 AM

i live in Connecticut and we have a good cruise scene up here at the one spot but the cops get u on basically almost everything. no blue or red neons that show as in none on your back dash or that u can see out of the windows and no blue or red neons underneath. the only winshield washer led's you can have is the white ones the rest r illegal.
but your best bet is to go down to your local police station and just ask rather then just putting something on and finding out the hard way