External Appearance Modifications to the exterior of your car. Body Kits, Head lights/bulbs, tail lights/bulbs, spoilers, antennas, sidemarkers, etc.

isn't neon illegal?

Old 01-11-2002, 11:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default isn't neon illegal?

I was planing to buy undercar neon, and put some neon on the rear window,
but the guy i know said it is illegal to put them on, I'm living in TEXAS

if so, do i have to have some kinds of switch to turn on? or I can hook up to headlight?

If the switch go to cigarette, i cant put it cuz I already have some stuff going to cigarette,,

sorry, the post is kinda confusing, but i hope u know what i'm meaning...
Old 01-11-2002, 11:30 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Basically any kind of neon lighting on your car could be a ticket waiting to happen. It's like that in just about every state. Whether or not you will get pulled over and cited is strictly up to the cop. And there's more cops that WILL ticket you for it, than won't. All of the kits that you buy for underbody neon do come with a switch to turn it on and off. So, my suggestion is that when you install everything....don't drive around with the neon on. Just turn it on if you're sitting somewhere chillin, or at a show. wink.gif

Good luck!
Old 01-12-2002, 12:04 AM

ok well technically ......... neons inside of the car here in Loiusiana are legal unless it is red or green ............ any external lights....undercar neon...wiper lights.....euro turn signals (if not so many inches in front the door and yellow)are illegal.... basically i say go to the library and read the laws for your state.... Trust me they come in handy :-)

[ January 12, 2002: Message edited by: Mister694 ]
Old 01-13-2002, 09:23 AM

Vehicle: 2008 Accent

I believe in Indiana it's legal to drive with neons on, I'm not sure about it, but it seems almost everything is legal in Indiana.

Here in IL you can have them on only when parked.
Old 01-13-2002, 12:50 PM

Vehicle: 2005 MINI Cooper S

Ask a police officer you might know. They more than often like to help. Most HATE to make those stops because there are much better things they could be doing, so if you follow the rules, it makes it better for everyone!
Old 01-14-2002, 06:20 AM

Every cop I've seen in the DFW area...I've asked about them. They really just don't like red or blue neons. (at least in our area). Most do NOT care if u have neons.
Old 01-14-2002, 06:51 AM

im in killeen near austin.

they say "neons can not be seen while driving"

undercar kits are illegal but depends on the cop. i have white. driven by a few cops. havent gotten harrassed about it but i wont do it all the time.

i know red and blue will get you pulled over. sometimes you'll get lucky. sometimes ya wont. just a risk
Old 01-14-2002, 08:29 AM

Vehicle: 2008 Accent

Thats how it is really in IL, they don't like the red or blue for some reason, which doesn't make sense to me.

I was told by a friend that it's because of the red and blue lights on the cops' cars, which to me still really doesn't make sense, my blue lights are under my car and look nothing like the flashing red and blue of a cop's car.
Old 01-14-2002, 08:58 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Red Accent 4 Door

Very true julez but red and blue are emergency colors. Flashing or not. the cops in connecticut dont like neons. a buddy of mine last year got a ticket for blues b/c they were too bright, as dumb as that is.

Josh
Old 02-26-2002, 02:56 AM

in ohio my friend told me that neons are legal. they just cant be red or blue and the bulb has to be hidden. blue and red turn siganls in the front are illlegal i have blue and no cops have said anything. they are legal in the back/