External Appearance Modifications to the exterior of your car. Body Kits, Head lights/bulbs, tail lights/bulbs, spoilers, antennas, sidemarkers, etc.

I need some information on powder coating.

Old 03-26-2003, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need some information on powder coating.

So, can anyone give me the scoop on powdercoating? Basically, I'm looking to find out what can and cannot be powdercoated, (i.e. plastics, metals, etc.), if there are any restrictions (like heat exposure, weather), and where one goes to get this stuff done. Any info would be appreciated.
Old 03-26-2003, 06:33 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Also, if you can tell us advantages/disadvantages over ceramic coating and anodizing, and average costs.
Old 03-27-2003, 12:23 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

True powdercoating is just for metals. It does not offer any thermal benefits (like ceramic coating can).

Powdercoated finishes are sometimes replacing replacing painted finishes for a variety of reasons, not the least being the superior quality and adhesion of the powdercoated finish.

Frames, Engine Cases, Cylinders,
Suspension Components, Wheels and anything else metal.

Parts are stripped, polished or blasted, iron phosphate coated, then powder paint is electrostatically applied and heat cured. Once cured, this process provides a hard durable finish which is resistant to chipping, peeling and scratching. Hundreds of color choices are available. High gloss, semi gloss, metalic, flat, textured, wrinkle, translucent and fluorescent finishes are available.
http://www.madhousemanagement.com/powdercoating.html

Do an internet search on "powdercoating" and you will find loads of info.

In general powdercoating offers more color and finish choices than ceramic coating does, but it does not have the thermal advantages that ceramic coating does, and it cannot easily be applied inside parts (like exhaust manifolds and head ports) like ceramic coating can. Basically, powdercoating is "super paint" that is extra thick.
Old 03-27-2003, 12:34 AM

also: anodizing is an electical process I believe I tried to get a paintball gun done, just a barrell and it was mad $$

rediculous

here:

Anodizing 101
By John Tolson, Finishing Superintendent, Vistawall Architectural Products

What is anodizing? Anodizing is the electrochemical process that uniformly accelerates the naturally occurring protective coating of aluminum. although it sounds complicated, it's really not.

Everyone has seen rust. Rust is the oxidation of steel or iron, called ferrous oxide. Aluminum also "rusts" or "oxidizes." All aluminum has a microscopic layer of aluminum oxide on it.

There are two interesting things about aluminum oxide. First, when an aluminum oxide coating forms on the surface, the reaction ceases. Rust on a car will continue to grow and will devour the car, however, "rust" on aluminum forms a protective barrier and stops the reaction. This means that aluminum oxide has excellent weather resistance.

Secondly, aluminum oxide is extremely hard, second only to a diamond. this means it is very difficult to scratch relative to raw aluminum. Most sandpaper is made of aluminum oxide.

What does this mean to you? In the anodizing process, aluminum is intentionally rusted. Electricity, sulfuric acid and water are used to convert the top layer of aluminum into a controlled layer of aluminum oxide. The aluminum oxide coating is part of the extrusion, not a coating which could fall off. This hard aluminum oxide provides an extremely long lasting, durable finish.

[ March 27, 2003, 07:41 AM: Message edited by: SPIKE ]