External Appearance Modifications to the exterior of your car. Body Kits, Head lights/bulbs, tail lights/bulbs, spoilers, antennas, sidemarkers, etc.

HID

Old 03-11-2003, 06:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID

I think i'm about to give up on my stupid harness fried rice. Anyone know where i can get a good HID kit at a decent price quickly? Low beam only of course.
Old 03-11-2003, 08:08 PM

Look on ebay I got my kit on there for $335 shipped and just got it yesterday, took 2 1/2 weeks cuz it came from Europe,but it was well worth the wait, cuz they look great at night, its a Hella H7 6000K system, looks great, took only about 1/2 hr to do both sides, not long at all. I took pix of it just have to upload them from digi cam.
Old 03-11-2003, 10:48 PM

Sounds great! So how do you hook them up? I remember looking at my friends HID system about a year ago and it consisted of a box with two sets of wires comming out for the HID bulbs. How do you wire these to your headlight switch? And i want to convert to HID 'cause my stock harnesses keep melting. I'm not going to have this problem with the HID system right since it runs off of it's own transformer right? I just don't want to purchase something $300+ and be back at square 1 with harnesses melting. I do remember though that HID lights run cooler than Xenon bulbs...i think.

EDIT: Howcome you bought H7's? I thought our low beams run 9006?

[ March 12, 2003, 05:52 AM: Message edited by: Koreandude ]
Old 03-12-2003, 02:07 AM

I am interested in finding out from those of you that have done the HID conversion how it has worked out from you. I have read a couple of times that converting a stock headlight housing to HID can be a problem, since an HID housing is made specifically for an HID bilb, meaning that it has a sharp cutoff at top, and throws more light out to the sides as to not permanently blind oncoming traffic. It stated that sticking a true HID bulb in to a normal housing can actually cause more glare than normal, and even temporarliy blind oncoming traffic.

So to those of you that have converted to true HID, have any of you had a severe problem with people flashing you (and I don't mean t!ts either)?

Anything else to comment on them?

Thanks!!
Old 03-12-2003, 03:45 AM

Vehicle: 1997 accent L

I'm curious about the wet weather performance.
Old 03-12-2003, 04:53 AM

Well, keep in mind that we use projector lenses whose output is significantly different than regular halogen bulb housings. HID kits installed in regular halogen housings DO blind people as i have first hand temporary blindness from my friends 2001 Honda Prelude while riding infront of him. Damn it sucked. However i believe with our projector housings we would have a less blinding effect with HIDs.

I just don't understand why biomknx bout H7's when he's got a 2001 tib (9006 right?).
Old 03-12-2003, 05:07 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

2000-2001 tibs use H7 bulbs for the low beam projectors...i have the box with the bulbs i purchased on my car right now and they say H7s! wink
Old 03-12-2003, 05:23 AM

From what I have read, wet weather performance with an HID bulb is better for the driver, worse for oncoming traffic.
Old 03-12-2003, 06:19 AM

ive installed them and had them for a month or so now.

i love them. easy to install. im working on a how to and it'll be done soon.

wet weather. great....oncoming traffic you dont have to worry about because on the tibs the projectors are adjustable so you can point them down a little.
Old 03-12-2003, 06:29 AM

http://www.groupbuycenter.com is a great place to look. Somone once said he believed the HID bulb on the 2nd gen would hit the plastic protector inside the housing because the bulbs are longer. Well the bulbs may be longer but the bulb housing is shorter, making it equal length to the xenon bulbs, etc you see out there today.

EDIT: I just threw in that 2nd gen bit for informational purposes, as far as the install goes, EVERYONE says its quick and painless.

[ March 12, 2003, 01:30 PM: Message edited by: cringe ]