External Appearance Modifications to the exterior of your car. Body Kits, Head lights/bulbs, tail lights/bulbs, spoilers, antennas, sidemarkers, etc.

headlight moisture *Title edited for spelling*

Old 03-10-2005, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headlight moisture *Title edited for spelling*

When the body shop put my front bumper on they broke the seal on BOTH headlights...No i have looked around and they cost $200 an assembly. I also heard to drill a small hole in the bottom of the headlight to let the water drain out and they moister will be gone. Does anyone know if that will work? Also i was wondering if anyone knew how to FIX moister in the headlights OR a place i can buy cheap NEW headlights. Thanks guys
Old 03-10-2005, 09:46 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

odd problem ..

first
as far as draining the moisture out, i would just open the headlight up (put it in the oven, once that adhesive holding it together it gets sticky rip it apart) and let it sit in a warm, dry place all opened up so it can air out. i would not want to drill holes for water to drain out of my headlight.

then
now, when you say the seal was broken, im assuming you're talking about that really sticky adhesive that hardens to hold the headlight together. if you want to reseal it permanently, first off get some clear silicone. next, preheat the oven to 350 and place one headlight on a cookie sheet for 6-8 minutes. take it out and try to pry apart that sticky adhesive stuff, and separate the headlight. now, while the headlight is still pretty hot and the adhesive is still sticky (if you took too long you might have to stick it back in the oven for a LITTLE bit to get that adhesive gooey again), align both parts of the headlight and press them together so the seal is tight and the two parts line up how they should. after you are sure that it has been put together properly, let it dry and cool down for awhile (in the meantime, you can do what you just did to the other headlight). after it has cooled, cauk up the edges with that clear silicone to ENSURE a PROPER seal.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:01 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

How do they break the seal of 2 headlights by replacing a bumper? What are they removing the bumper with a crobar?

If they brake, they should fix. Thats how it is man. Why arn't they fixing the damage's they caused?
Old 03-11-2005, 09:24 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL

I say do what zoned19 suggeted. While you're at it purchase some haloz from blacktibs. LOL
Old 03-11-2005, 11:34 AM

They may have just taken the caps off the back and moist air got into them. Before you go off the deep end, you can either pull them out and remove the rear access caps and let them air out (in a warm dry area) or us a hair dryer to get rid of the moisture. Reinstall and see if it actually comes back. This is not all that uncommon if the light has been opened to damp air.
Old 03-11-2005, 06:29 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Sorry dude, there is no way they "Broke the seal", they may have cracked something somewhere, but you can't "Break the seal" on RD2 headlights.
Old 03-14-2005, 12:18 PM

One big problem i have with resealing the headlights is I drive the car EVERY day and i don't have a spare car to drive. Second, the body sop said they didnt break the seal and moister just got in there somehow. Wec2002 what caps are you talking about on the back of the headlights? I was thinking of also just leaving the headlights in and drying the moister with a hair dryer but the my other problem is I don't know how to get the headlight bubl out without breaking something. I also don't have RD2 headlights. I have stock headlights and i'm almost positive they pushed my bumper up to far and broke something. Thank guys.
I'm still looking for some cheap headlights if anyone knows where i can get some.
Old 03-14-2005, 12:26 PM

Uhh, yes, you do have RD2 headlights...that is the model year of your car, hence: rdtiburon.com
Old 03-14-2005, 12:27 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

RD2 = 00-01 Tiburons.

With that in mind, you have RD2 Headlights. RD1's 96-99 Tiburon have RD1 headlights.

Why buy new headlights unless you smashed them up or anything. Go to an expert and have them look at it if you don't know what your looking at. Headlights arn't "cheap". If you must replace your headlights, I would visit a junk yard or visit kspec.com and post in there forum what you need.
Old 03-14-2005, 12:28 PM

Yeah you do have rd2 headlights ie 2001 tiburon. Anyway on the back of the light assembly there are two circles. One behind the hi beam and one behind the low beam. These twist off and you can then access the bulbs.