External Appearance Modifications to the exterior of your car. Body Kits, Head lights/bulbs, tail lights/bulbs, spoilers, antennas, sidemarkers, etc.

Gt Lip Review

Old 08-24-2008, 04:22 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Who da hell said this thing had great fitment?

It looks great from a distance

But once you get up on it, you can see that it really isn't the best fitment.

I used 2 hyundai body push-pop pins on the rear inside of the wheel well to secure it. I used 3M double sided tape all around to get it to meet the body, and I riveted it in place.

The problem is obviously quality control.

Both sides are different. It's especially noticeable on the inside of the main air-dam. You can see that the two sides are cut, most likely by hand, unevenly. One day soon I'm going to take it off and remove some of the offending material from the driver's side.

It had to be riveted to make the fitment you see here. Even still, I'm not completely impressed.

The offending material is on the inside of the lower air dam on the driver's side of the lip which pulls it too far forward and on the driver's side raised portion which goes inside of the bumper air dam. It's enough to make me mad at the company which makes it.

Also, the part could have been better prepped from the company. They just took raw fiberglass and painted it with primer. It should have been sanded much better.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000/Hyundai/Tiburon

well you could try and fiberglass it on, would look nicer and have a better finish to it, then you dont have to worry about the gaps, 3m tape, or rivets
Old 08-24-2008, 05:31 PM
DTN

I could do that... That's not the point. This one piece of a lip cost as much as a whole fiberglass front bumper. I could have got a new body kit bumper for the price of the lip, and the body kit bumper would have had much better fitment, or at least it would have been correctable with some strateigically placed epoxy.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:40 PM

Vehicle: 2000/Hyundai/Tiburon

yea, i know you spent big money on that, but i mean you could spend the same money on a bumper you may not like or have to spend the extra money to get the part you want to fit, thats all i was saying by that

i just meant that if you wanted the fitment good, now that you have the bumper you could just fiberglass it on, but i see what your saying there
Old 08-24-2008, 06:27 PM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

dealing with multi contours like this lip does still requires professional installation. everyone that you see on boobaemall.com you will notice that they are molded to the plastic bumper.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:39 PM
DTN

No joke? My logic behind getting a lip with "great fitment" was if the lip ever breaks, I can just pull it off. I can't do that if it's molded.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:31 PM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

sorry man, but even though its still just a lip kit, its still a body kit piece which requires pro install. they way I will be doing mine hopefully will make it bulletproof but even i know FG will get hosed the first time a possum or a raccoon will get in front of me.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:58 PM
DTN

You keep using this word professional.. It does not take a professional to mold a lip. It's quite easy, sand, slap some bondo-glass up in there, and then use a cutoff wheel and sand again, repeat as needed.

No matter how you look at it, this lip should be much better fitment then it is for the price. I would not recommend that anyone pay that much money for something that does not fit right. I'm going to work with mine and get it perfected. at least to the point where it sits flush with the bumper. There is no excuse for the poor fitment and inflated price... You either get high quality and high price, or low quality and low price. There is no low quality high price. That's called rip off.

you can't really see anything in the pictures I posted. It looks normal. There is about 1/2" gap between my driver's side air dam and the corner of the lip.

on the other side, there is none.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:01 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Considering your car was just in a pretty major front end accident, and none of the front end work done to get it fixed was done professionally, do you honestly think it's all the lip?

Something on the order of 6 of these are out there floating around, and everyone has praised the quality and fitment.

I'm not making fun, or saying you did a shitty job on your rebuild, but professionals are trained how to do it right and make it like it never happened.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:33 PM
DTN

It's seriously made poorly.

As for the accident I was in, the radiator support was all that was changed. the fenders are fine, no body readjustment was needed. The only reason I had so much damage is because my car is low and my hood hit the car in front of me at around 5-8 MPH. Had it been on the bumper, not much would have happened. The accident was also dead centered.

No, it has nothing to do with that. It is a quality control issue. if you take the lip off of the car and look at it, it is not symmetrical. The thing is made wrong. the driver's side has more material extending up the air dam. Also, the curve is further out on the driver's side. If you set it on the ground you can see it on the one that I have. Also, on the inside of the lip's air dam, the passenger side one is chopped further in then the driver's side one.

There is nothing that I've done which could cause poor fitment. It's just a crappy piece.

The way this piece is made, it's pretty much the right shape to fit on the car, but you don't market that as a lip.

Here are some examples of civic lips http://www.modacar.com/products/Honda/Civic/MODAFL/ None require molding.

I mean seriously, I wouldn't even have a problem if this lip were symmetrical.

If you look at the two corner pictures (which i took from equal but opposites sides) you can see on the lip at the main center air dam the driver's side angle is greater and longer then the passenger side. I'll get better pictures.