External Appearance Modifications to the exterior of your car. Body Kits, Head lights/bulbs, tail lights/bulbs, spoilers, antennas, sidemarkers, etc.

Gk Sunroof

Old 08-07-2007, 03:46 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

itll save 20 lbs of weight?..... have you ever had your sunroof out of the car? i doubt it even weighs 20lbs.. it was said a while back, i think by canadian shark that the CF sunroof was 3lbs lighter..

this mod would be more for looks than it would for weight savings.

the sunroof wont rust if its prepped and painted right.. i probably live in one of the worst states for rust, without a spot on the sunroof.

why not just get a nice CF overlay done on the sunroof? wouldn't be that hard to get done.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:53 PM

Vehicle: car

^^ It's hard to find RD sunroofs for one,

two, i live in chicago, probably WORSE than SOCKS state for rust

three, and this is for SOCKS, mine was already rust and I'm afraid I'd have to prep and fix my whole sunroof which would take a lot of time and effort.

I'm sure I could find a smashed GK in a yard with a good sun roof before a RD. But it's a diff size... I may just have a roof made of real glass for my car and see how that goes. Price would probably be high though.... Although a plexi with fake carbon fiber wouldn't scratch and might look kind of sexy.... lol
Old 08-07-2007, 03:58 PM
Banned

there would be no point to have plexi and CF. it would defeat the purpose of the plexi..

it would be easy as hell to prep your sunroof, just take it off, sand it down, prep it, have it painted for about 50$.

chicago is not worse than michigan. they put more salt on the roads than any state.. i mean we live on a salt mine for christs sake.

so, spending a 100$ or more to get a new sunroof, or some janky plexiglass and fake CF is worth more than a couple hours of your time?

you dont need a NEW sunroof for two, just sand down the one you got, and get it repainted.

getting a custom glass sunroof, formed to the tibs roof would cost a stupid amount of money.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:11 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

^^ which is why I suggested plexi. Plexi can be polished the same way police keep their lights on top polished, with McGuires plast-x from autozone. Plexi is also alot easier to work with and may not require a mold to make.

You could sand and primer the sunroof yourself. If you have a heat gun, Pep Boys has the DIY CF Overlay that comes out looking like SOCKS old dashboard.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:14 PM
Banned

thing is our sunroof has a small convex bump to it. it you put a FLAT piece of anything in there, it would look odd to me.. if your a person who really doesn't care, something flat would work well.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:35 PM
DTN

Dude... plexi is easily moldable. You could mold it to the shape of the roof with a heat gun @500 degrees. Or, you could have a professional do it.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:39 PM

Eh for $300 I'll just make an overlay for mine. I was thinking about $150-200, if you need a sunroof, it might be a different story but I just wanted it for looks.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:41 PM
Banned

but getting a piece of plexi and molding it to fit our roof, and the maintenance on it, will be more than just sanding down, and prepping the stock one so it wont rust lol.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:48 PM

I had the rust that was on there taken care of when I got it painted 2 years ago. Since then new rust has formed. Plus, I need to change the weatherstripping.

As far as the weight savings, I'm going on the GK data. Here's the thread from nt.com http://www.newtiburon.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=100726 It has all the info there.

I was thinking about just doing an overlay, I could do that very easily, but I dunno I've always wanted the full replacement, and it's a good price.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:52 PM
DTN

they have thick glass ones though.