External Appearance Modifications to the exterior of your car. Body Kits, Head lights/bulbs, tail lights/bulbs, spoilers, antennas, sidemarkers, etc.

Full respray

Old 05-28-2014, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2007 Tib
Default Full respray

Me and some friends here are having a bit of a debate on how to carry out a full respray so I thought I would ask on here to see what others do.

When giving a car a full stripped down respray with glass out, doors and hood and hatch off I say prime it all, paint the insides, put it back together and then paint the outside. Reason being you know the whole outside will have the same amount of paint on and will have no color issues between panels. My friends say as long as the paint is all mixed in one go you can paint all the panels separately applying the same amount of coats to each panel, then re-assemble after its all cleared.

In my head there will be shade issues with some colors if the panels are painted off the car....what do you guys think?
Old 05-29-2014, 08:19 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

as long as the paint is from the same batch and is applied with the same technique it should match up whether it's painted on or off the car. An one issue I can see with putting the parts back on to finish spraying is how you're going to apply the clear. If you clear before reassembly, the clear will have seams, or you'll have to mask off the cleared part of the car anyway to spray the installed parts - in which case it would be more simple to paint them off the car.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:42 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Accent

If everything is off the car so you can do the door jambs and stuff, then just paint it all while its off the car.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:20 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Depends on how good the paint is, how good the sprayer is, and how good the painter is!

You will want to mix up all the paint. Ie, if you get two gallons or a gallon and some quarts, they all need to be mixed together.

You have to be sure to spray the same amount of coats on every panel and in the same manner. Metallics have a tendency to model on you if you do not cross hatch your spray patterns. Solid base coates are easier as there is no flake to worry about.

If you are spraying a solid base coat, no worries. If you spray a metallic finish, you need to be concerned about how the paint is sprayed because you very well could have shade differences if the panels are not sprayed identically. Ie, you spray the body right side up, obviously, but spray the fenders hanging upside down.