External Appearance Modifications to the exterior of your car. Body Kits, Head lights/bulbs, tail lights/bulbs, spoilers, antennas, sidemarkers, etc.

Flaking Paint

Old 09-11-2006, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, this has been happening for a while, but now it's getting serious. The paint on my side view mirrors and door handles is flaking off in a bad, bad way. I'm sure part of the door handle's problem is damage from keying, but regardless, it's starting to look pretty bad.

My question is, what should I do about it? I can't really afford aftermarket mirrors (heck, if I had that money I'd fix my suspension problems) and door handles can't be replaced. I was thinking about those chrome door handle covers, which are kinda pricey, but I think wouldn't look to bad, but a lot of the missing paint is inside the door handle, where you put your fingers.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:36 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

You could use some touchup paint. At least from a distance it'll look a lot better, and up close it'll look a little better.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:21 PM

Here are some pics.

Old 09-12-2006, 12:35 PM

Sorry to see what is happening to your paint work, mine went the same way, well just the handles anyway.
My tib is'nt an SE model like my wifes so the handles and mirrors were black and not colour coded to the car which is red, I brought some primmer and paint matched to the red colour of the car, this did'nt cost much at all,i took the mirrors off and masked of the door handles so i did'nt get overspray on the doors and sprayed away , they look great .
Can't you do the same ? it is a cheeper way to fix the prob and it's not hard to do.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:36 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

I have the exact same thing happening on my car. It's silver too. Could it be a problem with the type of paint that was used? It's also like that on my front bumper. I'm just trying to live with it until I can afford a paint job.