External Appearance Modifications to the exterior of your car. Body Kits, Head lights/bulbs, tail lights/bulbs, spoilers, antennas, sidemarkers, etc.

Doing your Own Paint job

Old 08-11-2001, 04:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doing your Own Paint job

Alright i just bought a professional spray gun and i was wondering what type of stuff i will need to do all my painting. I guess i can get my paint from my dealer but what sand paper will i need and is there any special cleaner i will need to do the work. Thanks
Old 08-11-2001, 04:51 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Do you have a powered air supply/tank? What kind, and what are the psi specs on it? Also, have you ever painted before with a gun? What kind of gun is it, and is IT an adjustable spray gun? Sorry for all the questions, but if you've never really did this kind of thing before, I suggest practicing on some old cars or parts first. It's not as easy as it looks. Also, going to a book store or library and reading up painting cars.

There are alot of factors at play when you paint a vehicle. Humidity in the air, type of paint, right pressure set on the tank, right pressure and volume set on the gun, being able to hold your hand steady while going side by side, how to take out orange peel, how to get rid of fish eyes, getting rid of overspray, etc.... Also, it's best to have 3 guns. One for primer, one for paint, and one for clear. You can have just the one, but you will have to make sure it's 100% clean all through out the gun before loading up any other type of paint or primer.

As far as sandaper goes, you're gonna need a few different kinds. Mostly small grit for wetsanding. As far as cleaner goes, you can get any professional strength cleaner at an automotive store. Also, you're gonna need some color blend/rubbing compound to make sure the new paint that you sprayed will match up to your old paint. A good quality buffer is good to use to apply that, as well as some good quality polish and wax.
Old 08-11-2001, 12:58 PM

Vehicle: 2000/Hyundai/Turbo Tiburon

I would have to agree with lo&show if you have never painted a car before...it's going to be hard. Plus you need to know how to mix your paint: paint, paint hardener and reducer. If you get it wrong your paint will either dry too quickly or not quick enough.

Please before you do anything study the topic first; learn the basic of your spray gun. Learn how to use it and what pressure to use it at. You also need to know how the paint should come out. There are many different ways that paint comes out of a spray gun and if don't have the proper setting you will get runs or dryspray because it came out too thick, to thin, or to wide. And as for fish eyes you will get that if you have oil, grease or sweat on your parts. That’s why you need to know how to clean you parts before painting it, know what to use, like what kind of paint thinner. And the proper environment is an essential.

For seven year's I been painting and restoring cars and am still learning! Don't rush into anything if you haven't studied the basics.

But that's why we are here too help

[ August 11, 2001: Message edited by: BlueSpanishShark ]
Old 08-11-2001, 01:08 PM

I guess I didn't need to say all that because lo&show covered most of your questions. Bah!!

Tells us what you plan to do and how. From there we could probably help you out better.
Old 08-11-2001, 04:15 PM

Ok, i planned on learning as much as i can about the basics and what not and then go to some little things like some interior parts, brakes and touchup stuff. As far as the gun goes it has a "1 quart suction type cup, a 3/8" fluid hose connection, standard 1/4" air inlet, and puts out 45-70 PSI. The nozzle size is 1.8mm." I figured it was pretty cheap so i could atleast use it for the smaller things and if i didnt have any problems get into more advanced stuff.
I figured i didnt now much of anything at all when it came to cars up until two months ago and i have already learned alot through pretty much research and trial and error. And ive saved myself a lot of money doing it myself and it just feels better after you get the job done.
Old 08-12-2001, 03:22 AM

Okay as for painting your brakes you don't need the gun. Even though I've never painted my brakes before, from what I've heard from Random there is a kit you can buy at any ricer shop.

The interior I've only done it ones but it would be better to use your gun then using a spray can. For sandpaper, the grit should be 1000 and up. Any lower will be to thick and make bad scratches, you only want to use lower grit when sanding body filler or fiber glass off the body of your car. As far as cleaners go you can buy kits for your interior from either PPG or Dupont. When I did the interior of a Grand Prix I used PPG and it worked great, it's has everything you need to prep your interior.

So if you plan on painting the outside of your car that's where I can help you out the most. And so can Lo&Show but am pretty sure he knows more about interiors and custom jobs like shaving your door handles. I just do body work repair, painting the body and graphics. Plus some more that am learning now. You should see how long it takes me to make a strong weld for a new floor panel or anything else for that matter, I set a new record between my friends. I also do roll cages.
Old 08-12-2001, 03:26 AM

One more thing the psi I used for the interior was around 25 or lower am not to sure because it's been such a long time. sad.gif
Old 08-12-2001, 09:40 AM

Ok so do you think for touching up so scratches i should go with the gun or whatever i can get from my dealer
Old 08-12-2001, 10:33 AM

For the outside of the car? Are the scratches deep?

You can go too the dealer and they can buff it out. But for something that small you wouldn't want to use the gun. Unless you plan on painting the whole car, just try to buff it out first.

When you paint different parts of your car you run the chance that the rest of the car will not match the new paint job.