External Appearance Modifications to the exterior of your car. Body Kits, Head lights/bulbs, tail lights/bulbs, spoilers, antennas, sidemarkers, etc.

Does engine shine and cleaner smoke up or smell bad?

Old 05-30-2016, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2011 Sonata Turbo
Default Does engine shine and cleaner smoke up or smell bad?

When you clean your engine bay with degreaser and cleaner and then use shining spray to make it sparkle, do those chemicals smoke or give a bad smell when driving around after cleaning the engine? I want to know before I do it so I can let the engine run for awhile at home to burn it off before taking it somewhere.
Old 05-31-2016, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 84 VW Rabbit, 01 Audi A8L, 08 VW GTI

Spray your degreaser in the engine bay, then take a pressure washer to it. Dry it with an air compressor or quickly wipe it down, spray whatever product you want to shine up the bay. Then use an air compressor to blow everything dry make sure you get any pockets that water can sit in. Start the car, and let it run while you wash the car. When you're done washing the car, pop the hood, wipe the excess product off any plastic covers and you're done.

Your car will probably smoke a little bit while the excess water/product is evaporating, shouldn't smell bad though should smell like whatever engine dress up product you are using.

Definitely clean your engine bay before you wash your car though, that way the car doesn't get dirty from spraying out the bay.

Best of Luck
Old 05-31-2016, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Do not pressure wash a car's engine bay! Use a low-pressure stream of water if you have to rinse off an engine.
Old 06-08-2016, 06:34 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

The shine will smell some depending on the brand but it won't last long. Happens everytime I shine up my engine. lol